Rhodri from Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 UK

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well, I've just bought a new R18 and wanted to say a warm hello from Cardiff, Wales, UK.

I'm adapting my riding style to suit the R18 as I've always had sport bikes, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a upgrade for the exhaust system.

I've been looking at the Vance and Hines, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Remus and a custom shop in the UK.

I would just really like to make the R18 a little louder.

Cheers Guys,

Best Wishes,

Rhodri.

Hi Rhodri

Welcome to the forum where you will find we now have quite a few UK based members. I have benefited greatly from this site so worth taking a couple of hours to browse before asking any particular questions. That said, if looking for a quick answer, just ask. As for the exhaust. Those Jekyl & Hide look and sound amazing but personally not looking to spend another two and a half grand just yet.

Welcome Rhodri! Rumor around the forum is that the exhaust note seems to deepen after several thousand miles. The fishtails themselves will remain contentious.

/I like em

Hi Rhodri,

I made the switch from sports bikes to a Harley a few years back and it was so refreshing as a riding experience I haven’t looked back. Everything I’ve seen and read leads to me to believe the R18 will be equally as special and I’m looking forward to taking delivery very soon.

Regarding exhausts, I have been looking also. Having worked in a Harley dealership I have to say that Jekyll and Hyde exhausts are brilliant, particularly if you intend to ride into Europe/ have sensitive neighbours or leave/ arrive at antisocial hours and I believe they also now carry a 4 year warranty. Do bare in mind though that they will require wiring in which will add to the overall cost if you’re not mechanically minded.
Remus also make a lovely exhaust, but the end caps I like push the price very close to the J&H without the benefit of being able to adjust the sound level.
I haven’t seen a UK bike with V&H pipes fitted but worth bearing in mind there are US and ECE versions of them. Videos I’ve seen are of the US spec which actually sound pretty good but I expect the ECE version will be very muted and I’m not completely sold on the tapered design.
There’s a shop in Poland which have some pipes that are reasonably close to that of the original concept in design and sound good but they’re something daft like £3.5k.
Zard probably my favourite atm but Performance Parts only have the full systems in stock currently so not sure what the lead time is.

Welcome from Lancashire UK. Mine is a R18C and I think the exhaust is a little more throaty than the fishtails . One problem I have found with louder exhausts is the sound of one going down the road can be music to the ears. Riding the same bike can however sound less pleasant when you are on it for an hour or so. Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I am enjoying mine.

Welcome from Lancashire UK. Mine is a R18C and I think the exhaust is a little more throaty than the fishtails . One problem I have found with louder exhausts is the sound of one going down the road can be music to the ears. Riding the same bike can however sound less pleasant when you are on it for an hour or so. Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I am enjoying mine.
Agree fully. The half radius V&H on my Harley sounded and looked glorious to me. Didn’t feel the same when putting 100 miles on the bike.

Hi Rhodri,

I made the switch from sports bikes to a Harley a few years back and it was so refreshing as a riding experience I haven’t looked back. Everything I’ve seen and read leads to me to believe the R18 will be equally as special and I’m looking forward to taking delivery very soon.

Regarding exhausts, I have been looking also. Having worked in a Harley dealership I have to say that Jekyll and Hyde exhausts are brilliant, particularly if you intend to ride into Europe/ have sensitive neighbours or leave/ arrive at antisocial hours and I believe they also now carry a 4 year warranty. Do bare in mind though that they will require wiring in which will add to the overall cost if you’re not mechanically minded.
Remus also make a lovely exhaust, but the end caps I like push the price very close to the J&H without the benefit of being able to adjust the sound level.
I haven’t seen a UK bike with V&H pipes fitted but worth bearing in mind there are US and ECE versions of them. Videos I’ve seen are of the US spec which actually sound pretty good but I expect the ECE version will be very muted and I’m not completely sold on the tapered design.
There’s a shop in Poland which have some pipes that are reasonably close to that of the original concept in design and sound good but they’re something daft like £3.5k.
Zard probably my favourite atm but Performance Parts only have the full systems in stock currently so not sure what the lead time is.
Alex cheers pal for such a cracking response, I'm currently in work, so will keep this short, and will hope to give a more length response when I finish.
However, I've done a fair bit of research and I've spoken to a great guy called Matt @ The Real Toy Shop based in Grimsby, they keep the stock pipes and work there magic on them, which results in an awesome noise 🎶🙉👍
If you search on YouTube you'll find the video of the stage 2 that they've completed, I'm riding up from South Wales in the next few weeks and Matt @ The Real Toy Shop is going to sort it for me, so my recommendation would definitely be with these guys now.
Speak soon bud, take it easy, Rhod.

Cheers buddy.

Alex cheers pal for such a cracking response, I'm currently in work, so will keep this short, and will hope to give a more length response when I finish.
However, I've done a fair bit of research and I've spoken to a great guy called Matt @ The Real Toy Shop based in Grimsby, they keep the stock pipes and work there magic on them, which results in an awesome noise 🎶🙉👍
If you search on YouTube you'll find the video of the stage 2 that they've completed, I'm riding up from South Wales in the next few weeks and Matt @ The Real Toy Shop is going to sort it for me, so my recommendation would definitely be with these guys now.
Speak soon bud, take it easy, Rhod.
No worries 👍🏻

I have seen it, I like the sound on idle but it sounded a bit hollow/ tinny to my ears when he really revved it almost as if they have completely removed the innards just leaving the fishtails as an empty shell. I do have very sensitive hearing though and pick up on sounds most others won’t. If you get chance once you’ve had the work completed a proper video would be great as I suspect some of what I’m picking up is because he’s filmed it inside.

No worries 👍🏻

I have seen it, I like the sound on idle but it sounded a bit hollow/ tinny to my ears when he really revved it almost as if they have completely removed the innards just leaving the fishtails as an empty shell. I do have very sensitive hearing though and pick up on sounds most others won’t. If you get chance once you’ve had the work completed a proper video would be great as I suspect some of what I’m picking up is because he’s filmed it inside.
No problem pal I'll sort that out as soon as I've had it done, cheers bud, Rhod 👍

Back