Speedometer mysteries from Europe

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

Today I rode with a friend on a 100 mile cruise to a biker gathering. He rode a Triumph, I was on a RoadGlide (R18TC seat is at Russell so BMW is grounded).
I led and set the cruise at 60 mph on the two lane road. He followed at a steady short distance.
At the destination he said his speedo was at 67 mph the entire time.

Is it possible that the Triumph is off by 7 mph at 60? Someone has suggested the R18 is similarly calibrated. Has anyone checked this?

Every bike I've every had is calibrated 2 to 3 miles per hour slow at 60. So, 60 is really 57 or 58. My R18 is no exception. 58mph when reading 60. Can't comment on your road glide or his Triumph. At least one of the two of you is off in any case.

Today I rode with a friend on a 100 mile cruise to a biker gathering. He rode a Triumph, I was on a RoadGlide (R18TC seat is at Russell so BMW is grounded).
I led and set the cruise at 60 mph on the two lane road. He followed at a steady short distance.
At the destination he said his speedo was at 67 mph the entire time.

Is it possible that the Triumph is off by 7 mph at 60? Someone has suggested the R18 is similarly calibrated. Has anyone checked this?
My r1200gs is 6 mph off at 70, so that's in the ballpark. Most bikes read a little high, but how much varies from model to model.

Up to 10% discrepancy above the actual speed is quite common / typical.

It's my understanding that this is done for legal reasons. Speedometers can show a higher speed but not lower than actual speed.
Most motorcycles use a wheel speed sensor / abs sensor to measure wheel speeds and uses that to calculate the speed.
Which means depending on the tire selection (height can be different between brands and models)/wear and sprocket sizes speed measured speed can be inaccurate. There are other types that are not affected but I think manufacturers just err on the side of caution.

Up to 10% discrepancy above the actual speed is quite common / typical.

It's my understanding that this is done for legal reasons. Speedometers can show a higher speed but not lower than actual speed.
Most motorcycles use a wheel speed sensor / abs sensor to measure wheel speeds and uses that to calculate the speed.
Which means depending on the tire selection (height can be different between brands and models)/wear and sprocket sizes speed measured speed can be inaccurate. There are other types that are not affected but I think manufacturers just err on the side of caution.
I was told the same thing ...

Its time for me to get a speedo app on my phone. I'll set the cruise and start comparing.

Its time for me to get a speedo app on my phone. I'll set the cruise and start comparing.
Any half ways decent GPS app will take care of that for you ... I use 'Navigator' and it shows me current speed (when I am in a cage) ... this said I never had the urge to compare speeds when I am on the bike ... too busy enjoying the ride :)

Any half ways decent GPS app will take care of that for you ... I use 'Navigator' and it shows me current speed (when I am in a cage) ... this said I never had the urge to compare speeds when I am on the bike ... too busy enjoying the ride :)
Navigator?

Back