• Due to the fact that gmail allows bots to create email accounts and then the bots use these to sign up as spammers New users cannot use @gmail.com email accounts

Steering Damper, To Have or Not to Have?

Calboy

2021 First Edition, no steering damper.
Some people say that BMW put a steering damper in place on the Classic and the TC is because of the cruise control and the tendency of some riders to take the right hand off the handlebars.
I can take my right hand off the handlebars at any speed and under different road conditions, in the absence of a steering damper, and nothing bad happens.
How many of you, FG R18 riders, would consider mounting one? And what will the reason be for doing so?

VARG

my 2021FE is quite predictable and exhibits no instability at speeds, as the steering geometry suggests it would be. relaxed fork angle, and steering column offset behind the fork tubes. the 2022TC moved the steering tube out, steepened the fork angle, and offset the steering column in front of the fork tubes.. i believe this would create a nimbler, easier steering bike. the fork mounted faring may also play into the decision to add the damper, but the steering geometry would seem to suggest it'd be suitable in any case.

Calboy

I strongly believe that one must ride the same bike with and without a steering damper in order to notice any difference in handling.
After posting this thread I went to the BMW dealership and talked to a friend that happens to ride a FG R18, with and without the damper, and he didn't notice any difference whatsoever.
A man of many bikes and years riding all types of motorcycles.

VARG

perhaps it'd require some washboard or even cobblestone surfaces to create a situation where an effect would be more evident without the damper.. i agree same bike with and without is best comparison.. in a spot where some pertinent instability can be predictably experienced.

Calboy

But of course. It's all about riding on rough surfaces. I don't think that riding on asphalt would have a big impact and improve handling and smoothness to an extent that it would be instantly noticeable. Even by a super experienced rider.
I have a little bit over 600,000 miles on 42 different bikes in about 36 years of riding, yet, when I talk to professionals I am amazed by how quick a conversation can turn to some esoteric knowledge, from brakes to suspension and everything in between. I have a few answers to the complex questions raised by the world of motorcycling in general. So I am not afraid to ask them.

kils

Site Supporter
the steering demper is on the R18 FE only in combination with Cruise Control, with a cruise control on you will have your steering wheel a bit looser in your hands is their opinion and that is why the steering damper has been placed.