Temperature Gauge?

TodkaVonic

Site Supporter
Elite Member
This oil coolant screen talk got me thinking, and I've just confirmed: my R18 doesn't have engine temperature as a menu item. I've scrolled through everything several times, with the engine running and not. I've gone into all the menus and sub menus. I've reset everything. It's simply not there.

Further, the submenu for changing units doesn't have a Celsius or Fahrenheit option (as page 43 in the manual indicates).

I'm thinking that there's a software update? Any ideas? Internet search wasn't helpful and it looks like this hasn't been discussed here.

Do y'all have engine temp in your menus? Everything else is there, all that useless stuff like the dang date and average speed. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. AB2988A5-A26A-4EF1-BAF7-741076B9E0AB.jpeg

Does not have a temperature gauge, but, it does have an oil over temperature warning light indicator.
Thanks, I'm sorta relieved and disappointed at the same time. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or a cruise control thing (no idea why, just grasping at straws.)

Has ANY air cooled motorcycle ever had a temperature gauge? I've never seen it. And I wonder how useful it would be. Knowing the oil temperature could be useful, but unlike water, it's temperature won't be an accurate reflection of engine temperature because it's job as a coolant is secondary to it's job as a lubricant. The engine can heat up AND cool off much faster than the oil. So a gauge showing oil temp may scare the heck out of riders.

Has ANY air cooled motorcycle ever had a temperature gauge? I've never seen it. And I wonder how useful it would be. Knowing the oil temperature could be useful, but unlike water, it's temperature won't be an accurate reflection of engine temperature because it's job as a coolant is secondary to it's job as a lubricant. The engine can heat up AND cool off much faster than the oil. So a gauge showing oil temp may scare the heck out of riders.

My Paul Smart Sport Classic has a temperature gauge. It's air and oil cooled like the R18. On hot days, in stop-and-go traffic, she can get a bit, um, warm.🔥

By WARM do you mean personally felt heat or what the gauge shows?
Both. But never dangerously so. 230 degrees tops. She likes to run closer to 200.

But back to the topic of our R18. Does anyone have a temperature gauge? Since it appears in the manual, is this something that should be looked in to?

Both. But never dangerously so. 230 degrees tops. She likes to run closer to 200.
In that case, you have no problems. :p
If engine oil doesn't run close to the temperature of boiling water, it will become polluted with water and it's usefulness as a lubricant drops precipitously. Naturally that doesn't coincide with "rider comfort" when stopped in traffic with a few hundred pounds of HOT aluminum (air OR water cooled) between your legs. But that's something that we riders must deal with in the pursuit of riding free and in the outdoors.

I "Thought" it had a temp gauge. My R1100RT had one and it is cooled the same way as the R18. So is my R1200R. It has a temp gauge.

I could not find it on the one I test drove.

"No one worried about the temp of a BMW until they put a gauge on it."

An ambient temp would be nice too. I bought an aftermarket one for my Gold Wing. Its WAY off.

David

I "Thought" it had a temp gauge. My R1100RT had one and it is cooled the same way as the R18. So is my R1200R. It has a temp gauge.

I could not find it on the one I test drove.

"No one worried about the temp of a BMW until they put a gauge on it."

An ambient temp would be nice too. I bought an aftermarket one for my Gold Wing. Its WAY off.

David
If it is way off, what is the point, I have some beach front property for sale in South Carolina.

I was researching the subject of the temp gauge when I found this and this forum. Just joined!
I’m always monitoring the temperature so it is a little nerve wracking for me to not be able to. As stated by others, the manual is clear that there should be a temp read. My R NineT Scrambler has one. Also oil/air cooled boxer. I was hoping that it‘s a matter of a software update deal that I could get during my first service. I know that there’s a warning temp light. But how do I know that it will work if the temp gauge is not there? I would hate to find that out the hard way.

I don’t have my bike yet, but when I look up the owners manual online, this is what I found. It shows engine temperature, correct?

Attachments

• FE967811-D14C-45F1-A8C0-315821B07686.jpeg
    FE967811-D14C-45F1-A8C0-315821B07686.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 45
Very strange.
The manual shows we can display the engine temperature, but when passing from one displayto the other, it jumps from auto Day trip to Average speed, skipping the temp, and the distance run from reserve (which is normal) !
We may have to configure that in the Set-up.
Yes, I checked and it's what we need to do ! :)

FONCTIONS flèche.jpg

Last edited:
Back