Transcontinental Wind buffeting from windscreen - cures?

G'day again from Downunder. Just had the R18 Transcontinental first service - going well. I am 6 feet, 183 cms. What's with the high frequency buffeting that strikes the middle of the helmet above my eyes ? Very annoying - has anyone found a fix? Aftermarket screen - additional deflector? All suggestions gratefully received!

I am 170 cms (5'7") and look through the windshield which means I get no buffeting. If you are on the stock seat, I am thinking you are looking through the windshield too. Is that right?
I flip the winglets to the closed position so that air turbulence is basically eliminated.

You might be a candidate for the Jurock 3rd party windshield. I think their largest one would help you some.

Hi back and thank you. I sit quite straight due to an old back injury so my eye line is about 2 inches OVER the top of the screen. The winglets open or closed do not help me there. Jurock USA based I'm guessing? I will Google them. Cheers and thanks. PS UPDATE - Just ordered a clear 20 inch 7Jurock screen - will take FOREVER to get to Australia I am sure!

Last edited:
The Clearview shield on my harley road king was amazing. The company told me they are going to start designing the r18 shields in spring 2023. I will probably wait for one of those puppies...

Also I'm the same height as r12c-r18tc, and I feel nothing with the TC shield. It's good to be short sometimes I suppose. I just don't like staring through the shield.

Do you have the lower wind deflectors open or closed? On mine, I found that if I left them open, the buffeting is quite bad. But, closing the wind deflectors makes a world of difference!

Mike
That is so true. Kind of amazing the change from those winglets.

G'day again from Downunder. Just had the R18 Transcontinental first service - going well. I am 6 feet, 183 cms. What's with the high frequency buffeting that strikes the middle of the helmet above my eyes ? Very annoying - has anyone found a fix? Aftermarket screen - additional deflector? All suggestions gratefully received!
I am 6'3" and have never experienced this issue. What seat do you have? I assume you have the taller windscreen (which is regular). I was thinking of going to the shorter bagger windscreen because it's rather hot where I live.

Could the buffeting be caused by excessive engine and windshield vibration on the new bikes?
At 2500 rpm there is little or no vibe. So you could be traveling 50, 60, or 70 mph depending which gear you are in.
If you were to buy an HD street glide or road glide, they come stock with an undercut windshield (like the R18B). I believe this is intentional to induce the owner to SPEND more money on a better shield.
As to the buffeting problem on the R18B, the solution is simple. Get the R18TC screen or a taller one. I had zero buffeting on my R18TC.

Think of it this way…..if the top of the screen is level with your lower chin, you are sure to get blasted.
Could the buffeting be caused by excessive engine and windshield vibration on the new bikes?

Back