Valve adjustment

pbosik

I am curious...do our valves loosen over time? With motors, that use a shim, they tighten. But do valves, that can be adjusted tighten, as well?
I feel foolish even asking, but...

Well, you know more than I :)
My old 05 r1200rt has 4 of them though I had yet to do the adjustment myself, just took it to the dealer. My old 71 /5 I did the adjustments myself...the good old days.

I don't even know if the R18 engine has screw-type adjusters like my 05 or 1971 bike. Maybe they are bucket & shims? Ok, google just said they are screw and locknut. I think, YES, it is possible for the valve clearance to be too tight.

And besides, I think I saw a post saying the R18 engine specs/adjustments are a NASA secret never to be relieved to the buying public...and if so cannot see how that is legal for BMW not to provide such information for any service internal items we could do ourselves instead of taking to the dealer to have done.

Last edited:
They are screw and lock nut. The reason I ask, is the specs provided by the video ( foreign language) and what I am coming up with on my feeler Guage, are way off. So close, yet so far...
I was quoted for the service, at 2 different dealers. The quotes ran from a low of $300 ish to $750ish. One is replacing the valve cover gaskets, the other isn't. At $170+ each side, they must be made of gold.

Well, at least for the first service I don't believe the valves are checked. Think that is done at the 6k service. Others can correct if I have misspoken. And YES BMW thinks all they do is made of Gold. The price quoted me to add floor boards to a base model were insane. If you find the correct specs let us know...just don't tell NASA you told us.

They are screw and lock nut. The reason I ask, is the specs provided by the video ( foreign language) and what I am coming up with on my feeler Guage, are way off. So close, yet so far...
I was quoted for the service, at 2 different dealers. The quotes ran from a low of $300 ish to $750ish. One is replacing the valve cover gaskets, the other isn't. At $170+ each side, they must be made of gold.
Well, I suspect that those gaskets are probably made in Spain/Portugal or an E.EU country; think Hungary or something like that. Hence the price. If they were made in China, Vietnam or Mexico, they might charge a bit less. Taiwan? Well, you're starting to get up there in terms of cost, too.

MAXBMW checked the valves on my TC at 6k service, it appears the gasket is specified to replace each time, but I opted to reuse as it seemed to be in fine condition. The valves did not require adjustment, so everything was reassembled with the original gasket. I've put another couple thousand miles on since and the gasket seems just fine. Thinking I might want to budget for a couple in the spares closet.

Sills BMW in Cleveland does my valve checks for $140. I have finally drawn the line. Gave checks on the bike are easy but I dont want to buy a special lift to turn the rear wheel to find TDC.

Sills BMW in Cleveland does my valve checks for $140. I have finally drawn the line. Gave checks on the bike are easy but I dont want to buy a special lift to turn the rear wheel to find TDC.
That's a great price. I assume that is 1hr flat rate to perform the valve check. Do they charge extra if the adjustment is needed?

I would like to see an English valve adjust video for the R18. I always adjusted my own valves on the R1200c but only because I had a video tutorial.
I don't know for sure......... but it seems the screw and locknut method is superior to the bucket and shim. On the R1200C, I had to find the right friction drag on the feeler gauges and was never sure I had it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm ... I am close to a service ... and as with all my bikes I do it myself .. thanks for the pics with the open cover haven't had the need to open mine yet ... soon ... but what is that hole in the 3rd picture .. something at the cylinder base ... some sort of timing mark?

Hmmm ... I am close to a service ... and as with all my bikes I do it myself .. thanks for the pics with the open cover haven't had the need to open mine yet ... soon ... but what is that hole in the 3rd picture .. something at the cylinder base ... some sort of timing mark?
Yes, that pic shows TDC. If you find any info on the specs, shoot me a pm. Any questions pm me.

Last edited:
After watching a few more videos. I suspect, my error was...not using 4 feeler gauges at the same time. Gonna take a 3rd look. Will advise on my findings.
As I said I haven't opened this one yet .. but I suspect that it will be much like my 'Chromehead' (although that one is an overhead-cam) I will use a long feeler gage that covers both valves when I adjust/check.
I will let you know what I find ... but I still have 500 miles to go, shouldn't rush things :) ... and I still have to order the oil and filter.

As I said I haven't opened this one yet .. but I suspect that it will be much like my 'Chromehead' (although that one is an overhead-cam) I will use a long feeler gage that covers both valves when I adjust/check.
I will let you know what I find ... but I still have 500 miles to go, shouldn't rush things :) ... and I still have to order the oil and filter.
Yes, please do. Btw, I sent you a message...

Yes I saw ... I am getting ready for work ... thanks for the vid, I will watch it at work and will comment on that ... I don't have time at the moment ... otherwise I make myself late and management frowns on that 😁

Yes, that pic shows TDC. If you find any info on the specs, shoot me a pm. Any questions pm me.
I’m coming up on my 12K service and decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. I’m good on everything but the darn valve check. Long story short how do you know this is TDC (I don’t see any markings)?

I’m coming up on my 12K service and decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. I’m good on everything but the darn valve check. Long story short how do you know this is TDC (I don’t see any markings)?
... the 'Redneck' way! ... you have the spark plugs out I take it? roll the motor over until you see the valves changing in rapid succession .. roll it just a bit further then stick something like a thin wooden dowel in the spark plug hole, keep rolling the motor and feel it come up to TDC .. as I said .. Redneck way :)

Always go forward in the direction the bike runs.Don't have the bike in gear and go in reverse.No need to create another problem.

I would like to see a valve adjust video for the R18. I always adjusted my own valves on the R1200c but only because I had a video tutorial.
I don't know for sure......... but it seems the screw and locknut method is superior to the bucket and shim. On the R1200C, I had to find the right friction drag on the feeler gauges and was never sure I had it right.
I posted this video recently, but I'll post it again here since there's no such thing as too many times to share information ;).

It's a Russian video detailing how to adjust the valves. For the valve clearances, and torque measurements, refer to my original post at: https://www.r18forums.com/threads/if-they-end-the-r18-line.1366/post-21471

Mike

Back