Who likes ‘fish’…exhaust :)

motoring

Well, don’t know if I will ever happen upon a low priced used R18 or not. Let alone low price and one with cruise control or a build date after 2/28/21 (to add cruise after the fact). I do know I could not help myself and picked up two ’fish’ on a clearance table at a bike shop. Seems some like the vans? exhaust over the original FE exhaust.

At first when I saw the R18 on the internet I was not certain I cared for them, let alone if they reduced cornering clearance any or not. I mean they look like ballon inflated pipes with a fish tail right :)

If nothing else, being single, I can mount one on a wall as part of a Bike Cave to look it as art work. Might sound crazy though I am liking how this Fish exhaust looks. Not a clue how it performs on a R18. I am not that big into loud exhaust, though maybe there is truth in that saying that loud pipes save Lives thing.

At any rate, I did not intend to go fishing but fishing I did and feel she/they are a keeper. Sadly she just does not come with any wheels nor other parts required to make her a rideable R18 :) but the price was so low, which I will not say, that I could not say no to the deal.

Attachments

• B16DD5E8-B142-4AAE-82F4-507A055F4EB0.jpeg
    B16DD5E8-B142-4AAE-82F4-507A055F4EB0.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Well, don’t know if I will ever happen upon a low priced used R18 or not. Let alone low price and one with cruise control or a build date after 2/28/21 (to add cruise after the fact). I do know I could not help myself and picked up two ’fish’ on a clearance table at a bike shop. Seems some like the vans? exhaust over the original FE exhaust.

At first when I saw the R18 on the internet I was not certain I cared for them, let alone if they reduced cornering clearance any or not. I mean they look like ballon inflated pipes with a fish tail right :)

If nothing else, being single, I can mount one on a wall as part of a Bike Cave to look it as art work. Might sound crazy though I am liking how this Fish exhaust looks. Not a clue how it performs on a R18. I am not that big into loud exhaust, though maybe there is truth in that saying that loud pipes save Lives thing.

At any rate, I did not intend to go fishing but fishing I did and feel she/they are a keeper. Sadly she just does not come with any wheels nor other parts required to make her a rideable R18 :) but the price was so low, which I will not say, that I could not say no to the deal.
I personally think they are iconic with the FE.

Last edited:
I agree. Well, at least I can prove a caught a 'fish' if someone asked me. Was going to edit my initial post to say I might have been 'over the top' saying they are a work of art but as a bike guy I see things at times I and just cannot help but be taken in. Ok, last photo else this will turn into the next 'what bike stuff do you have hanging on your walls that you will never put on your bike (but want to show off) thread :)

The tank was a special year anniversity they did that year (also did it in two other combos I believe) and since I like orange anyway...ended up getting it. Have an old 'S' bmw fairing up in the rafters I need to get down. Think I will start my Bike Cave in the coming week.

Attachments

• 2005 orange hd tank.jpg
    2005 orange hd tank.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I do not like the fishtails but facts are facts; you cannot do a redux of Art Deco German motorcycles without them. It just works and I like them as part of BMW really creating a retro bike. They have to be there

I do not like the fishtails but facts are facts; you cannot do a redux of Art Deco German motorcycles without them. It just works and I like them as part of BMW really creating a retro bike. They have to be there
Kind of agree. When was the last time a manufacturer sold a bike with an interesting muffler. Love them or hate them I have to rip my hat to that.

The HD guys go crazy after a new tip on the same old same old round tubes…

It seems the problem with the fishtail R18s are once swapped for an after market exhaust, there will be a missing piece of heat shield in the middle.
You will need to weld mounting points yourself.

R18 exhaust 1.jpg

I have a Freedom Performance exhaust. The item you have outlined in your pic is in fact a heat shield as supplied by FP.
I see. Some brand like V&H provided the heat shield that fits nicely as shown.
R18 exhaust vence 3.jpg

I really liked the FP on the classic/B/TC, because the heat shield is installed on the stock exhaust already, and everything just fits nicely.

Freedom on Classic4.jpg

Back