Windshield

mkondratov

Site Supporter
Has anyone figured out the terrible helmet buffeting issue with the classic?

Is it the low windshield? Is it for looks only? It is strange that BMW would release a motorcycle with such poor wind protection.

Is 18b the answer?

My experience with the Classic windscreen along with anecdotes from others here.... I'm 6'0 by the way

* At low speeds (less than 60mph) buffeting isn't terrible. The thing rattles though. Somebody here had a fix for that, but I don't recall what it was. Over 60 and there is buffeting and wind noise for me, primarily around the helmet.

* I added an extension (MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade) which marginally helps at higher speeds.

* Others here claim that some of the turbulence is coming from under and around the sides of the windscreen. It doesn't "seem" that way to me, but I haven't really explored that.

* I have removed my windscreen entirely. To be honest, for speeds up to 85 mph, it's a better all around experience without it. I like the setup of the classic better than the straight FE, I like the pipes better, and I like the bags. I even much prefer the looks without the windscreen, so it's all good by me. I can understand those looking for more complete wind protection though being annoyed.

Interesting thought as to the buffeting around the sides. It does seem that if I try to sit higher or drop lower in the position of the wind screen, it does not really Chang the buffeting. I can tell because with my helmet visor up, my glasses have this constant vibration affect.

On the Transcendental the stock windshield makes the rider compartment dead quiet , no buffeting and the radio sounds like it's in your car. The downside is the top is right in my line of sight and is so tall I feel like I am not on a motorcycle but behind a windshield in a car. I bought and installed the R18 Bagger lower windscreen and I feel like I am on a motorcycle again the problem becomes it is about 2" too low and buffeting becomes an issue as well as the radio now at 70MPH forget it. So today I ordered Wunderlich

Part # 8110024-025
Wind Deflector​

Looks really well made and only about 3" tall . I'll report back one installed

Has anyone figured out the terrible helmet buffeting issue with the classic?

Is it the low windshield? Is it for looks only? It is strange that BMW would release a motorcycle with such poor wind protection.

Is 18b the answer?
Check out the post link below. Wunderlich windshield deflector and Memphis Shades fork deflectors solved the wind noise and buffeting. Keeping in mind it’s still a windshield machine and will never be as quiet as a well designed full fairing.

Thread 'Lower Wind Deflectors'
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/lower-wind-deflectors.424/

The Wunderlich windshield deflector and Memphis Shades fork deflectors are very similar to what is used very successfully on HD Road Kings and the like. I have owned 4 HD's in the last 7 years, '06 EG Classic, '13 and '14 Road Kings and a '18 Softail Classic 114. the deflectors, called Fangs worked great up to the bikes speed limiter of 110 to 114 MPH.

My experience with the Classic windscreen along with anecdotes from others here.... I'm 6'0 by the way

* At low speeds (less than 60mph) buffeting isn't terrible. The thing rattles though. Somebody here had a fix for that, but I don't recall what it was. Over 60 and there is buffeting and wind noise for me, primarily around the helmet.

* I added an extension (MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade) which marginally helps at higher speeds.

* Others here claim that some of the turbulence is coming from under and around the sides of the windscreen. It doesn't "seem" that way to me, but I haven't really explored that.

* I have removed my windscreen entirely. To be honest, for speeds up to 85 mph, it's a better all around experience without it. I like the setup of the classic better than the straight FE, I like the pipes better, and I like the bags. I even much prefer the looks without the windscreen, so it's all good by me. I can understand those looking for more complete wind protection though being annoyed.
I have a R18TC and am getting a lot of buffeting at over 50mph around the helmet and a constant shake of my glasses, I hope in the not to distant future a taller windshield is offered by someone, an extra 3” would be perfect.

The tip-over bar that is standard on the TC, I notice in your photo the saddle bags aren’t as deep so it would then rest on the exhaust pipe.

Attachments

• 8122F811-0983-451F-9B57-AA4344079A06.jpeg
    8122F811-0983-451F-9B57-AA4344079A06.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Clivescott, those look like they would work equally as well as the very excellent working HD Fangs.
Hope so. Just ordered a set. I don't get that severe buffeting others have complained about with the standard Classic windshield. I do feel the air flow hit me in the chest coming up from under the windshield. Today was about an hour and a half ride about 70% highway speeds, the other 30% back roads under 45mph. Wind blast isn't too bad but could be better. The twists and turns are significantly easier and smoother than my Road Glide.

I can attest to the Memphis Shades wind deflectors for Yamaha cruisers working on my R-18. I have paired them with the new 21" Clearview Shield, which is 5" higher and a few inches wider than stock. I installed the wind deflectors with some rubber grip tape underneath to prevent scratches and it gives the clamps extra purchase. I raised them as high on the forks as possible. They work great. They removed 80% of the buffeting to mid-section and shoulders, and reduced wind noise to a comfortable level. Tested at 80 MPH+, solid as a rock. This combination makes the C model much more enjoyable, especially on longer rides. No heat issues as the cylinders are well below the deflectors. Thank you for the recommendation.

Clearview shield with Memphis Shades wind deflectors.jpgMemphis Shades wind deflectors 2.jpg

I can attest to the Memphis Shades wind deflectors for Yamaha cruisers working on my R-18. I have paired them with the new 21" Clearview Shield, which is 5" higher and a few inches wider than stock. I installed the wind deflectors with some rubber grip tape underneath to prevent scratches and it gives the clamps extra purchase. I raised them as high on the forks as possible. They work great. They removed 80% of the buffeting to mid-section and shoulders, and reduced wind noise to a comfortable level. Tested at 80 MPH+, solid as a rock. This combination makes the C model much more enjoyable, especially on longer rides. No heat issues as the cylinders are well below the deflectors. Thank you for the recommendation.

View attachment 6326View attachment 6327

What protection bar is it? It looks nice and has the OEM shape :D

I'm not certain the B is the answer. Just picked up mine last week and am working through the same issues.
The stock windshield on the R18B is way too low in my opinion. On my TC I look through the screen but boy does it make for easy highway riding.

View attachment 6326View attachment 6327

OKAY....spoke a little too soon about heat issue. I am in South Florida. This time of year it's about 1,000 degrees out on the black-top. The lower wind deflectors DO affect the felt heat from the cylinder heads. It takes about 30 minutes to notice the difference, so I did not fell it on shorter rides. The heat is not as bad as a Harley or Indian, but warm enough to make me remove them (easily done with one bolt) until the fall when cooler weather makes it's way south. The wind issue is really not that significant with the Clearview 21" shield. So, for me this is the way I will roll.

Back