Winter gear

So I’m in the market to buy some heated winter gear. I was hoping to use the accessory plug located low on my R18B. I was watching a video on Revzilla and they are saying not to use that plug. They are saying wire directly to the battery. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbing-12v-heated-vest-liner Has anyone used the Gerbing heated gear with the accessory plug or another product that won’t require modifications to the bike?

I’m also considering this product https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-heated-layer-shirt

John

Last edited:
Do it right, once. Buy Gerbings Bluetooth set up. Wire everything to the battery with the supplied fuse. Not worth the BMW Canbus amp game if you decide to get gloves, pants, socks etc in the future.

Mount controller in a easy to reach place.

Edit. You can easily move the controller from bike to bike as well.

Last edited:
So I’m in the market to buy some heated winter gear. I was hoping to use the accessory plug located low on my R18B. I was watching a video on Revzilla and they are saying not to use that plug. They are saying wire directly to the battery. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbing-12v-heated-vest-liner Has anyone used the Gerbing heated gear with the accessory plug or another product that won’t require modifications to the bike?

I’m also considering this product https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-heated-layer-shirt

John
I use Warm n Safe gear with the Powerlet plug. However, you can’t use more than 5A. Last winter I used a heated shirt and heated socks which together were less than 5A. I couldn’t use heated shirt and pants though as that was more than 5A. So I use the heated shirt, some windproof base layer pants and heated socks.

I found that my Classic with the screen this setup worked fine down to about 30F. Below 30F, the heated grips alone weren’t enough, so battery powered heated gloves let me go down to 20F.

Since the B has a bit more wind protection with the fairing, you may have a colder range possible than my Classic.

Like the Gerbing, warm n safe has a wireless controller. On my other bikes I did the direct to battery connection, but in really cold weather (<20F), I’m more likely to use my GSA as it has more wind protection.

Last edited:
So if the plug is limited to 5amo I assume the shirt would be an option at 3.5amp without a need for modification? Someone mentioned the BMW branded vest not worth the investment? What did you not like about it?

So if the plug is limited to 5amo I assume the shirt would be an option at 3.5amp without a need for modification? Someone mentioned the BMW branded vest not worth the investment? What did you not like about it?
Yes 3.5A would work on the Powerlet plug.

I had a BMW vest I got with my first BMW bike 25 years ago. It was fine for at the time. Since then I mostly had Gerbings and it was good stuff. But my favorite of all is Warm n Safe. Especially since you can get a base layer heated shirt. This goes direct on your skin and you can then put a sweater or sweatshirt over it to further hold on heat. I tend not to need heat as high as my Gerbing jacket this way and it is less bulky.

I am using Hotwire heated jacket liner, pant liner and gloves. The gloves are thick but all the gear works. I was able to ride all the way to 32F at night.
Since I was going to use all three together, I connected directly to the battery using the included wire with the kit on the R1250RT.
Now on the R18TC, I am thinking of plugging the pants in the passenger plug and others into the dash.

Yes 3.5A would work on the Powerlet plug.

I had a BMW vest I got with my first BMW bike 25 years ago. It was fine for at the time. Since then I mostly had Gerbings and it was good stuff. But my favorite of all is Warm n Safe. Especially since you can get a base layer heated shirt. This goes direct on your skin and you can then put a sweater or sweatshirt over it to further hold on heat. I tend not to need heat as high as my Gerbing jacket this way and it is less bulky.
Ok, checked out the Warm & Safe. I’m leaning towards the layered heated shirt. At 3.5amp this may be all I need. i don’t really like driving in the truck unless I don’t have a choice because of ice or snow. I will layer with the shirt and see if my heavy winter gloves plus grip heaters and seat will do the trick up here in the northeast. My boots are Daytonas and they seem to be great in all temperatures so I think I will be set.

Ok, checked out the Warm & Safe. I’m leaning towards the layered heated shirt. At 3.5amp this may be all I need. i don’t really like driving in the truck unless I don’t have a choice because of ice or snow. I will layer with the shirt and see if my heavy winter gloves plus grip heaters and seat will do the trick up here in the northeast. My boots are Daytonas and they seem to be great in all temperatures so I think I will be set.
I’m in the Northeast as well. I’d say 90% of the time riding this past winter I just used the heated shirt. The socks are nice when it is <35F and you are riding >2 hours between stops.

But since you have the B, the fairing should allow you to ride in cooler weather with the added wind protection.

Back