Brand and tire life on the R18

And so it goes... shopping for tires for my '22 TC. Looking for succinct experience on your tire preference for the Transcontinental. I've scoured the forum & the interweb & came up with 4 options. I'm open to comments from those experienced with the TC.

• Metzler Cruisetec
The shop said they'd had returns on these due to front end wobble.. first I heard of that for these tires, though other tires brands are reported to do this.

• Michelin ME888

• Michelin Commander III Touring

• Bridgesone Battlecruise H50 (the stock tires, see below)

The stock Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 tires performed well in all weather conditions, multiple road surfaces, and handling, even some unintentional but unavoidable dirt lanes and rough road construction. However, I got less than 6,000 miles out them before needing replaced: the tires will not pass state inspection. While this may be okay for a tire that otherwise performs well, it seems a bit underwhelming to me. But while I can cettainly accept 'good enough' for certain situations, seems as this should have better solution.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
I too was frustrated by the short life (for a cruiser) on the Battlecruise tires on my R18 Classic. All my bikes tend to get at most 6K miles (for the rear), so I assume when I do a 6K service, I replace the tire as well. What was more surprising with the R18 is the front was also nearly done at 6K, so I swapped it at the same time. Most of my bikes is a 2-1 ratio of front to rear. Even my sport bike is about 3K in the rear, but 6K in the front.

If you are riding a lot of straight line highways, it may make sense to prioritize longevity over handling and look at a different tire. But, I tend to ride aggressively in twisties and the grip the Bridgestones provide for that riding style is outstanding, so I replaced with the same when they were done at 6K.

I too was frustrated by the short life (for a cruiser) on the Battlecruise tires on my R18 Classic. All my bikes tend to get at most 6K miles (for the rear), so I assume when I do a 6K service, I replace the tire as well. What was more surprising with the R18 is the front was also nearly done at 6K, so I swapped it at the same time. Most of my bikes is a 2-1 ratio of front to rear. Even my sport bike is about 3K in the rear, but 6K in the front.

If you are riding a lot of straight line highways, it may make sense to prioritize longevity over handling and look at a different tire. But, I tend to ride aggressively in twisties and the grip the Bridgestones provide for that riding style is outstanding, so I replaced with the same when they were done at 6K.
Thanks, neislm, this is the direction I'm leaning toward as well.
I would really appreciate better mileage longevity than what the Battlecruise tires provide but will not sacrifice good (e.i. safe) handling to achieve it.
It's always a compromise of the tire wear versus tire handling performance. Perhaps the Battlecruise tires are the best compromise currently available.
Again, appreciate yout input.

Interesting. I do mainly, here in FL, long straight riding and less twisty. What tire would you recommend to avoid the middle wear that's happening on the Michelins? 3k miles.

Interesting. I do mainly, here in FL, long straight riding and less twisty. What tire would you recommend to avoid the middle wear that's happening on the Michelins? 3k miles.
I have ridden many cross country trips on various cruiser, sport touring and adventure bikes and all their tires and I don't believe any "like" tire will wear much differently if a vast majority of your miles are as described. I'd buy what is on sale and then plan a few trips to the Appalachian Mountains where you can enjoy riding some curves where it would help balance the wear pattern ;) 🍺 🍺

Back