2021 R18 First Edition - question….

In November I purchased a 2021 R18 First Edition ( I really like it); at the time it had about 1700 miles on it. The break-in inspection was performed at about 700 miles. Prior to it becoming mine, the oil/filter were changed (May 2022). The service was set for 1 year. So April 5, the general service reminder light came on for an oil/filter change. I’ve put about 600 miles on it since I bought it, mileage is about 2300. Does the oil/filter really need to be changed at this time or can I go another few months? I’m mostly a weekend rider and new at being a BMW boxer owner. (Warranty expires in September 2023) Thanks in advance for your thoughts / advice.

As long as youre within mileage do I think a few months of time will make a big difference?
Not really.
But I would plan on it sooner rather than later.
I have a couple of bikes that see 3k miles a piece but I still change the oil at least once a year.
I only use full synthetic.

Oil breaks down over time & can be contaminated via mileage, so refreshing it at least annually is cheap insurance for engine issues. I wouldn’t fret if you are a month or two past due and didn’t have time to replace if the bike was parked for winter, but I would suggest doing it before you start your season of riding.

My oldest bike, a 1972 R75/5 doesn’t get a lot of mileage given its age, I only do about 1000 miles a year on it. But I still replace the oil every year.

In November I purchased a 2021 R18 First Edition ( I really like it); at the time it had about 1700 miles on it. The break-in inspection was performed at about 700 miles. Prior to it becoming mine, the oil/filter were changed (May 2022). The service was set for 1 year. So April 5, the general service reminder light came on for an oil/filter change. I’ve put about 600 miles on it since I bought it, mileage is about 2300. Does the oil/filter really need to be changed at this time or can I go another few months? I’m mostly a weekend rider and new at being a BMW boxer owner. (Warranty expires in September 2023) Thanks in advance for your thoughts / advice.
had the same with 2022 model(2022R18TC) ,at 450 miles that came up on my bike I call the dealed and he said service was done before i picked it up but would have to be flashed to removed just ordered a GS-911 to take care of it and will be doing my work myself the dealer is over 2 1/2 hours away will still be under warranty till aug, 2024 so the work will be oil change ,rear drive and trans oil he said if i needed anything like trok spec he would ask the inhouse machanic and would send me them will see how this works i left to dealer with everything to do me oil change and will do when due!

Oil breaks down over time & can be contaminated via mileage, so refreshing it at least annually is cheap insurance for engine issues. I wouldn’t fret if you are a month or two past due and didn’t have time to replace if the bike was parked for winter, but I would suggest doing it before you start your season of riding.

My oldest bike, a 1972 R75/5 doesn’t get a lot of mileage given its age, I only do about 1000 miles a year on it. But I still replace the oil every year.
Totally agree. A couple of months after is due won’t do much harm, however, one thing to bear in mind is that after a few cycles the oil will start to degrade, even if the engine does not see much use. Left for long periods, i.e, over winter, can turn the oil acidic which could have detrimental effect on rubber seals etc.
I have a boat which I don’t tend to use over the winter months, however, it is a general practice to change the fluids and filter for storage to prevent the issues mentioned above.

Back