2022 BMW R18B Road Test

Today finally was able to take the R18B for a road test. Very different from the v-twin smooth ride had it on the Roll mode.
My problem was getting used to the foot controls. It seemed I was missing when shifting & had difficulty in finding the rear brake. I was concerned about slow maneuvers but it seemed fine with the low center of gravity. I really like the bike but I am concerned about the foot controls. Has anyone had a similar experience??? Any input & advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have a 22 bagger with the heel/toe shifter, which I like. I moved the toe shifter up one notch from where it came from the factory/dealer, which was an improvement. They sell an extender, so it will it stick out farther. It I didn't have the heel/toe I'd probably get that. The brake control has seemed normal to me. The brakes are good.

Today finally was able to take the R18B for a road test. Very different from the v-twin smooth ride had it on the Roll mode.
My problem was getting used to the foot controls. It seemed I was missing when shifting & had difficulty in finding the rear brake. I was concerned about slow maneuvers but it seemed fine with the low center of gravity. I really like the bike but I am concerned about the foot controls. Has anyone had a similar experience??? Any input & advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
When I took mine for a test ride, I felt exactly the same as I was used to forward controls, however, by the end of a two hours test ride, I was so used to everything that I put the deposit when I returned the bike.

Man, I test rode my B during the stop sale. Got out of the lot, went to shift into second and could not find the fuckin’ shifter! I’m out there on a 45mph road in first gear, panicked on this bike that isn’t mine. Had to pull over and get a look at the setup to figure it out. Realized it had heel-toe and then was able to make some sense of it.

Bought the bike and moved the toe up a spline and the heel down and it’s all good now. Primarily use the heel for upshifts as it’s a little easier, even though there is room for my boot under the toe.

Brake is fine, but quite different placement from what I was used to on my thunderbird where it was almost like a truck brake with a big ol’ footpad at a different angle.

The major thing I’ve come to realize about this heavy ass bike is that it’ll go right where you want it to. Just feather that clutch and dip in.

Last edited:
Thanks
I had to adjust the position of my foot controls so I could get by boots in there comfortably. Now, perfect. Not having any problems with the rear brake...
The bike is different....it's VERY different than my Harley and BMW R9T....but that's good, time for something new. The bike is suprpisingly agile once you get used to it, I am taking some pretty good twisties with no problems....I NEVER want to scrape the pegs.
Good luck...

Man, I test rode my B during the stop sale. Got out of the lot, went to shift into second and could not find the fuckin’ shifter! I’m out there on a 45mph road in first gear, panicked on this bike that isn’t mine. Had to pull over and get a look at the setup to figure it out. Realized it had heel-toe and then was able to make some sense of it.

Bought the bike and moved the toe up a spline and the heel down and it’s all good now. Primarily use the heel for upshifts as it’s a little easier, even though there is room for my boot under the toe.

Brake is fine, but quite different placement from what I was used to on my thunderbird where it was almost like a truck brake with a big ol’ footpad at a different angle.

The major thing I’ve come to realize about this heavy ass bike is that it’ll go right where you want it to. Just feather that clutch and dip in.
Hey Big Jim Slim
Your description is exactly my experience with the test ride yesterday. I am still

Hey Big Jim Slim
Your description is exactly my experience with the test ride yesterday. I am still
Hey Big Jim Slim
My exact description of my test ride yesterday. It did put a damper on the feel for the bike but I realize adjustments can be made I have to think about it this weekend and get back to the dealer on Monday
Thanks

The heel - toe shifting took all of an hour worth of riding to get use to it; I find that I hardly ever use the rear brake, unless I'm making a U-Turn and it requires feathering the clutch...

The ABS distribution braking system is amazingly responsive with the pull of my trigger finger; I find I have to go out of my way and think about using the rear-foot brake. Coming off a 2008 GS Adventure, which was always a manual combination of the single finger braking and the rear foot brake; I find myself today on the R18 B probably 99% braking via the front lever via a single or double finger pull. Probably worth noting; I feel the distribution of braking that the bike's ABS system is WAY better than my manual front - rear braking.. I do really enjoy this bike... Good luck on your new bike purchase.

Today was 55° in NJ; I went out and topped off my fuel tank today, put the bike up on the center stand, cleaned it, covered it with a proper cover and put it on the trickle charger for the Winter... :-(

PXL_20231216_183928122.jpgPXL_20231216_184259161.jpg

The heel - toe shifting took all of an hour worth of riding to get use to it; I find that I hardly ever use the rear brake, unless I'm making a U-Turn and it requires feathering the clutch...

The ABS distribution braking system is amazingly responsive with the pull of my trigger finger; I find I have to go out of my way and think about using the rear-foot brake. Coming off a 2008 GS Adventure, which was always a manual combination of the single finger braking and the rear foot brake; I find myself today on the R18 B probably 99% braking via the front lever via a single or double finger pull. Probably worth noting; I feel the distribution of braking that the bike's ABS system is WAY better than my manual front - rear braking.. I do really enjoy this bike... Good luck on your new bike purchase.

Today was 55° in NJ; I went out and topped off my fuel tank today, put the bike up on the center stand, cleaned it, covered it with a proper cover and put it on the trickle charger for the Winter... :-(

View attachment 12603
What center stand is that?

View attachment 12603View attachment 12604

Scott
Beautiful bike looking at the same one 2022. I did use the front brake as you mentioned was very careful when using it during the test ride. Thanks again for your input. And I keep in touch if I make the deal.

Hey Big Jim Slim
My exact description of my test ride yesterday. It did put a damper on the feel for the bike but I realize adjustments can be made I have to think about it this weekend and get back to the dealer on Monday
Thanks
I had the same trepidation, but ended up putting a deposit down a few days later and picked it up the second the stop sale ended. Love the whole thing and no regrets.

Just got the 600 mile service done, so ready to go for another 6000.

Back