Adaptive headlight issue?

Ha! Can’t compete with a damn thing if you can’t sell the bike! I don’t know thing one about how these decisions are made, but knowing what I know about Harley, I gotta think most people shopping for Harley end up with a Harley. I don’t know that even the best of BMW or Indian or anyone else cracks the market except for those of us who are decidedly un-Harley.

I will say though, the new road glide ticks a lot of boxes except for pricing. If BMW can keep undercutting with their fully loaded R18s, maybe there’s a swell in sales. I’ll say again though, the guy primarily shopping for a road glide probably won’t be swayed by the Bavarian Beast.
I did recently test Ride the New Road Glide I can say wow much more Balanced than the R18 B for sure
Ha! Can’t compete with a damn thing if you can’t sell the bike! I don’t know thing one about how these decisions are made, but knowing what I know about Harley, I gotta think most people shopping for Harley end up with a Harley. I don’t know that even the best of BMW or Indian or anyone else cracks the market except for those of us who are decidedly un-Harley.

I will say though, the new road glide ticks a lot of boxes except for pricing. If BMW can keep undercutting with their fully loaded R18s, maybe there’s a swell in sales. I’ll say again though, the guy primarily shopping for a road glide probably won’t be swayed by the Bavarian Beast.

Yep, going thru it with my dealer. Rode in the mountains last week and when I washed the bike, saw that the headlight was completely broken. They told me that I had to bring the bike into the shop to start the claims process. Said that they have to plug the bike into their computer and pull data. My light is completely shot! After 500 miles, it etched the glass from the vibration.

Same story about the light coming from Germany with no scheduled date of arrival.

Attachments

• IMG_5474.jpeg
    IMG_5474.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Yep, going thru it with my dealer. Rode in the mountains last week and when I washed the bike, saw that the headlight was completely broken. They told me that I had to bring the bike into the shop to start the claims process. Said that they have to plug the bike into their computer and pull data. My light is completely shot! After 500 miles, it etched the glass from the vibration.

Same story about the light coming from Germany with no scheduled date of arrival.
Problem is if they just replace with another of the same it is bound to fail again until they come with a new and improved design

I agree. I’m hoping like everyone else that their engineers are in the final stages of an approved design for replacement, and that this will be a blanket replacement for all owners. I’m an engineer, so I am familiar with some of the regulations and approvals that are required for this level of change. Nonetheless, I’m still disappointed and concerned with our safety should the light fail while riding at night.

I agree. I’m hoping like everyone else that their engineers are in the final stages of an approved design for replacement, and that this will be a blanket replacement for all owners. I’m an engineer, so I am familiar with some of the regulations and approvals that are required for this level of change. Nonetheless, I’m still disappointed and concerned with our safety should the light fail while riding at night.
agree that's the main concern and a company of this scale should have already figured this out I think .

My dealer said last week he is really hoping that they will have a solution by August because he would really like to move some bikes that currently have a stop sale until the recall is remedied. AUGUST!!! Yikes. Just glad they are working on it and honestly hope it isn’t a rush job. Would prefer a “permanent” fix. Already had a headlight replaced under warranty. Would rather the next work done to the headlight be the last.

JW Speaker makes a non-mechanical adaptive headlight where additional leds light as you lean one way or the other. From what I understand, JW makes these R18B and TC lights also. While I can appreciate the complexity and engineering that went into this light, it’s just the more parts the more things to break.

Wonder how similar to the current light the replacement will be.

As others have suggested, give us a static light and a check and most of us are happy.

I really wanted to buy a R18 B in 2023, but knew about the headlight failure problems. Also, having owned German cars, I know how they treat Americans with warranty work. It can be from Ok, to pretty shoddy, to non existent, at the dealership level. But this is at the corporate level.

It so turned me off that I instead bought a 2023 BMW R1250 GS Trophy, with the basic, standard Halogen headlight system, with the bike instead coming with heated seats. The halogen headlight suffers none of these problems. A set of Clearwater Darlas and a Billie Brake light with the Canopener CAN system that plugs in, was a cheap $800 add On I put on, taking care of any and all lighting problems I might have with any BMW headlight system.

I still want that R18 Bagger, once they get the headlight issue resolved, but pretty sure it's going to be a used one. They still need to get that first of the day non start issue fixed /addressed with some sort of software update, too. Even Her Two Wheels has it show up on her 2023 White with Silver 2023 R18 B on video. I think around the 600 to 1000 mile break in service video or shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
I really wanted to buy a R18 B in 2023, but knew about the headlight failure problems. Also, having owned German cars, I know how they treat Americans with warranty work. It can be from Ok, to pretty shoddy, to non existent, at the dealership level. But this is at the corporate level.

It so turned me off that I instead bought a 2023 BMW R1250 GS Trophy, with the basic, standard Halogen headlight system, with the bike instead coming with heated seats. The halogen headlight suffers none of these problems. A set of Clearwater Darlas and a Billie Brake light with the Canopener CAN system that plugs in, was a cheap $800 add On I put on, taking care of any and all lighting problems I might have with any BMW headlight system.

I still want that R18 Bagger, once they get the headlight issue resolved, but pretty sure it's going to be a used one. They still need to get that first of the day non start issue fixed /addressed with some sort of software update, too. Even Her Two Wheels has it show up on her 2023 White with Silver 2023 R18 B on video. I think around the 600 to 1000 mile break in service video or shortly thereafter.
We can complain but it doesn't really help or we can change

Back