Add TC auxiliary lights to R18 Highline 2023

Zero-FG

I added these BMW fog lights and was successful in wiring the OEM IP67 supplied loom into the bikes wiring harness. It required some time to locate and workout how to do this, also, there were other posts and some threads that were extremely helpful in getting the lights in and functional using the existing switching. I gathered all the available info and bit the bullet and spent way too much $$ for a couple of lights but the end result has changed not only the amount of light thrown out, but the look, the all important look…..
I will add some more pictures and a how to do if there is interest in the thread…..
The tank needed removal and there were a few tricks involved along the way but if your mechanically minded and willing to have a go, its not too hard.

Cheers Mick1705485639412.jpeg1705485696672.jpeg1705485748066.jpeg

Here is a better picture of the IP67 connection to the harness. The connector has the mating wiring colours, also it is factory blanked off, so don’t try and connect to the blank like i did :)…..didn’t take long for the penny to drop…..

The lights are activated via the bottom of the mode button and can be switched through the highbeam function switch. This part of the wiring doesn’t apply to all the R18’s TC’s etc, it can be wired in with a seperate switch, or you could purchase the switch block and have that functionality.

To keep my additional 12 volt battery drainers going (MagSafe cell charger plus a heated jacket and a cardan shaft light) I’ve utilised all the other IP67 connectors, the AUX connector and a direct battery connection for the major battery drainer the heated jacket. It is a bike where you can keep it additions tidy with a little effort.

IMG_3740.jpeg

Are those connection points located under the fuel tank?

In my case, I think that connection is mated on my 2022 Model B; I state this, only because I briefly get 12V when I start the bike and when I first start the engine. For some reason though, I don't have the ON-OFF functionality via the mode switch?

Perhaps the initial presence of 12 V at the start up sequence is testing the circuit for an accessory load; where, my voltmeter isn't being recognized as a load high enough to draw recognized current and the circuit is being disabled via ECU? Both Auxiliary Lights draw about 1 Amp when illuminated.

This will remain as a head scratcher for me, especially since others have been successful in enabling the Mode Switch for added Auxiliary Lights. I'm going to keep telling myself that I love the switch that I installed within the dashboard....
😂

In my case, I think that connection is mated on my 2022 Model B; I state this, only because I briefly get 12V when I start the bike and when I first start the engine. For some reason though, I don't have the ON-OFF functionality via the mode switch?

Perhaps the initial presence of 12 V at the start up sequence is testing the circuit for an accessory load; where, my voltmeter isn't being recognized as a load high enough to draw recognized current and the circuit is being disabled via ECU? Both Auxiliary Lights draw about 1 Amp when illuminated.

This will remain as a head scratcher for me, especially since others have been successful in enabling the Mode Switch for added Auxiliary Lights. I'm going to keep telling myself that I love the switch that I installed within the dashboard....
😂
Yes you got me on this one Scott, with my bagger I did initially take my tank off looking for these wires and they did not exist. Afterwards I found all 3 connections under the windscreen fairing.

😂
Correct, that they are Scott, you can see from the first pictures the frame.

Keep the switch, it will be better than the switch block one….

😂
Scott, I was taking a look at my aux light connections today and noticed something. The big rectangle shaped connector (I attempted to mark in RED) has 3 wire groups coming out of it.. 1 Going to Aux Lights (faint green line around it), one going to blinker on clutch side of bike and the other going to whatever sensor, computer that big connector is plugged to. That should make it easy for you to find the wire I am using for my aux lights.

Attachments

• AuxLights.jpg
    AuxLights.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Scott, I was taking a look at my aux light connections today and noticed something. The big rectangle shaped connector (I attempted to mark in RED) has 3 wire groups coming out of it.. 1 Going to Aux Lights (faint green line around it), one going to blinker on clutch side of bike and the other going to whatever sensor, computer that big connector is plugged to. That should make it easy for you to find the wire I am using for my aux lights.

I think I had the correct wire/connector; for whatever reason, my bike must not be optioned the same as yours in terms of software or some programmable bit setting?

I saw power on the connector at start up; however, it then becomes disabled. I decided to stick with my existing switch set up; I actually like the look of the switch vs the 12 V DIN socket.

I appreciate your input though..

I think I had the correct wire/connector; for whatever reason, my bike must not be optioned the same as yours in terms of software or some programmable bit setting?

I saw power on the connector at start up; however, it then becomes disabled. I decided to stick with my existing switch set up; I actually like the look of the switch vs the 12 V DIN socket.

I appreciate your input though..
I was looking through the GS-911 index for the R-18. There is a function for “crusing lights” that may be promising. IDK… Other functions there as well. Check it out.

https://www.hexgs911.com/xbcl/

Back