Any issues with the Rain?

I rode in a pretty heavy storm yesterday. Just 5 miles. Went to go to bikes and breakfast this morning and the bike started. I got to the first stoplight and it kept turning off. I pulled over and parked it in a church parking lot. Walked home and grabbed my Honda and rode to bikes and breakfast. Came back after to get the R18TC and it started right up and I rode it home no problem. Seems like to me that it needed to dry out. I'm wondering what is getting wet to cause this.

Sorry, not a useful reply just a data point for those of us reading this thread. I'm unsure what the problem may be... could be one of several things. Sounds like a dealer check up may be in order.

FWIW I rode yesterday in about 3-4 hours of light-to-heavy rain without a problem, 150 miles or thereabouts on 2-lane roads & multi-lane highways with semis & lots of road mist, traveling up to 75mph when safe to do so. Started and stopped 3-4 times: to clean the faceshield, use a rest stop, check my nav routing, etc.
Hope you can get it sorted! Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Yes i lived this problem after a heavy rain, the bike do not stop, but the motor was very rough, whit this red flag, i called BMW and they told me stop the bike, we send you a towing, and after to Bmw, the problem was misfire on left cylinder, the cause nobody know ??? the bike was 2000 km and now 6000Km, the never did that after the visit to Bmw
BMW R18.jpgBMW R18 2.jpg

Yes i lived this problem after a heavy rain, the bike do not stop, but the motor was very rough, whit this red flag, i called BMW and they told me stop the bike, we send you a towing, and after to Bmw, the problem was misfire on left cylinder, the cause nobody know ??? the bike was 2000 km and now 6000Km, the never did that after the visit to Bmw
I'd pull all the spark plug caps and get some dielectric grease just inside the boot, to seal against' the insulation on the spark plug.

Good call.
I should have put this in the first post. At night the bmw connected app was turning on in my phone and saying it was connected to the bike. I knew I had turned the bike off so I thought nothing of it and closed the app. In the morning I saw the app was on again. Walked to the garage and found out my bike was on. So I turned it off and it quickly turned itself back on. This process repeated about five times before it turned off for good. Have not had the issue since, so I assume that the two things were related to something electronic being wet.

I tend to agree with you but I am wondering what would that be as I would have thought the ignition for instance, is not exposed to the elements and even if it was, I am sure these kind of scenarios are taken into consideration when designing the bike. What else could it be in there that when wet played the role of a closed circuit to have the bike switched on and ready to fire.

I was over in North Carolina this past spring at the Wheels of time museum. It was a pretty rainy day, (Buckets!) left the bike in the parking lot, for about 3 or 4 hours. Came out got on the bike rode out to the main road to head back to Tn, and I also got the big red warning flag! Pulled over immediately under a Gas station Canopy tried to clear it. My warning said it was ok to ride but should be dealer checked. Turned the bike on and off a few times, with no luck, Big Red flag then turned to warning red triangle. Since it said it was ok to ride , I thought I would ride it back to the hotel where I had a laptop and Wifi 911. Rode it about another 10 miles and the warning triangle extinguished also, Rode for another two days after contacting my Dealer with no problems. Rode all the way back to Memphis on Monday convinced the tech to meet me at the shop so I could let him have the bike and lock it up. Wife came over to Memphis in car we dropped off the bike. Wednesday i get a call bike is ready, it was a misfire. Cleared the code ran the bike rode it and nothing reappeared. Good to go! Might have been the rain, dunno, maybe something got wet that wasn't supposed to get wet, by just sitting in the open parking lot in the rain. Stranger stuff has happened. That was early April and its now Sept It hasn't missed a beat since. Fixin' to do a few more Iron butt rides starting next week. Interesting to note that someone else had a similar problem. I also had a warning light come on abt a month ago telling me the left driving light was inop toggled the lights and headed for the house. About 30 miles from the house, day light , no biggie. Got it in the shop and both the lights were working! Maybe I need a gremlin bell a little higher up on the bike! LOL.

I should have put this in the first post. At night the bmw connected app was turning on in my phone and saying it was connected to the bike. I knew I had turned the bike off so I thought nothing of it and closed the app. In the morning I saw the app was on again. Walked to the garage and found out my bike was on. So I turned it off and it quickly turned itself back on. This process repeated about five times before it turned off for good. Have not had the issue since, so I assume that the two things were related to something electronic being wet.
My immediate thought went to your "POWER ON" switch on your right-handlebar. You might want to check if any water got inside the switch and is causing a short?

Mike

My immediate thought went to your "POWER ON" switch on your right-handlebar. You might want to check if any water got inside the switch and is causing a short?

Mike
That's a pretty good thought. It's dried out so there is nothing to check now. The dealership opens tomorrow. I'm going to call them and ask if they have heard of it Happening. I will report back.

Called the dealership and all they did was set up an appointment for the 6000 miles service and check the water short at the same time. They said they havent heard of it before

Called the dealership and all they did was set up an appointment for the 6000 miles service and check the water short at the same time. They said they havent heard of it before
You might be the first to report on it then... ;)

"Just because a dealership hasn't heard of a problem before doesn't mean that problem cannot exist now..."

- a truism.

Mike

Back