Apple users with GS-911

51rhC

Site Supporter
Are there any Apple Mac users that are successfully using the GS-911 tool to reset codes on their motorcycle? I'm considering getting the GS-911, but factoring in whether I will need a new computer to run it as well.

Are there any Apple Mac users that are successfully using the GS-911 tool to reset codes on their motorcycle? I'm considering getting the GS-911, but factoring in whether I will need a new computer to run it as well.
I use my MacBook Pro with BootCamp. It works well and you get to learn some Windows key strokes.

Just a reminder, Macbooks produced over the last two years using the M1 chipset will not run bootcamp. You can always pick up an old windows laptop for $50 or so and keep it in the garage.

I use my iOS device via WiFi. I can do the same with my Mac using the GS911 Wi-Fi utility, but given it is an iMac sitting in my home office, I just use my phone right by the bikes.

I use my iOS device via WiFi. I can do the same with my Mac using the GS911 Wi-Fi utility, but given it is an iMac sitting in my home office, I just use my phone right by the bikes.
Awesome! Are there any limitations to using via WiFi? The website seems to suggest so, but have you found it to be functional for most needs?

Awesome! Are there any limitations to using via WiFi? The website seems to suggest so, but have you found it to be functional for most needs?
Main difference is via WiFi you have to be connected to the internet, while the windows desktop app can work offline. There is a workaround where you connect to the GS911’s own access point if you are on the go. I have a cheap Windows PC for the occasional windows only tools for all my hobbies but I never bother bringing it to the garage for the GS911 and just use my iOS device. Haven’t found anything that made the desktop app a must have. More details here: https://www.hexgs911.com/quick-start-guide/

I run Parallels Desktop on my MacBook Pro, which runs Windows 10 in a virtual environment. From there, I can run the GS-911 software just fine.

If you have the newer M# MacBooks, Parallels is likely your best option. It is an annual subscription but IMHO, well worth it if you regularly work in the Windows (or non-MacOS) environment on your MacBook, which I do for work.

Edit: However, there is UTM, which is free (or $10.00 via the Apple App Store, which helps support their development). It's an open-source virtual emulator that also allows you to run Windows, like Parallels. So, if you don't like the idea of a subscription, check out UTM. HOWEVER, be prepared for a steeper learning curve on connecting the GS-911 to the UTM VM interface than it would have been in Parallels (you get what you pay for, right?). But, if you can stomach the patience, then you can get your MacBook working with the GS-911 for next to nothing (hoping you threw the UTM devs their $10 bucks ;););)).

2'nd edit: Adding USB devices to Windows 10 in UTM is FAR easier than I thought. I just tried it and it...just works. So, my recommendation is to download UTM (the free version directly from the internet first) and try that. Install Windows 10, then the GS-911 software and try your luck. In the top-right corner of the UTM emulation window, you'll have the option to connect/disconnect USB devices. When you connect your GS-911 to your Mac, you'll see it appear in the dropdown list when you select it via the UTM USB devices icon.

If all that works, THEN maybe you'd consider throwing them $10 bucks by buying the program via the App Store?

Mike

Last edited:
Main difference is via WiFi you have to be connected to the internet, while the windows desktop app can work offline. There is a workaround where you connect to the GS911’s own access point if you are on the go. I have a cheap Windows PC for the occasional windows only tools for all my hobbies but I never bother bringing it to the garage for the GS911 and just use my iOS device. Haven’t found anything that made the desktop app a must have. More details here: https://www.hexgs911.com/quick-start-guide/
That's great to hear! This seems like a great solution for me. Thank you.

The desktop app is needed if you want to reset the service indicator. In my experience, I was unable to reset the service indicator via the mobile GS-911 app. All other functionality works however.

Mike

The desktop app is needed if you want to reset the service indicator. In my experience, I was unable to reset the service indicator via the mobile GS-911 app. All other functionality works however.

Mike
I reset it all the time with just my phone and the web version.

Mike
I’ve reset with mobile web version on my GS and S1000R. I’ve not tried on my R18 yet, but would expect it shouldn’t be different.

I reset it all the time with just my phone and the web version.

I’ve reset with mobile web version on my GS and S1000R. I’ve not tried on my R18 yet, but would expect it shouldn’t be different.
Unless they've updated the app, it was the ONE feature I wasn't able to access via my iPhone; I had to drag out my MacBook Pro on that one. I reset the service indicator when I did my 600 mile last year.

Mike

Unless they've updated the app, it was the ONE feature I wasn't able to access via my iPhone; I had to drag out my MacBook Pro on that one. I reset the service indicator when I did my 600 mile last year.

Mike
Last time I did it on any of the bikes was last year. I'll double check if it still works. Would be weird to me that they removed that functionality.

There is a bit of confusion of infrastructure wifi vs device wifi that could impact this. If your GS911 is setup on your home WiFi it can confirm the license which is really what is needed for the service reset. If you have the GS911 host its own WiFi & you connect your phone to that, your phone & thus the app wouldn't have internet access, so it could be the reset wouldn't work in that case.

Back