Auto Dealers Price Gouging Markups

Black Dog

Has anyone looked into buying a new automobile recently.
Look for $3,000 to $20,000 dealer price gouge pn top of MSRP sticker price.
Looked up the price on line, listed the MSRP.
Talked to the dealer on the phone, he mentioned MSRP and dealer incentives.
Took a rest drive and was preparing to write the check.
Salesman says, "Oh, by the way there is an additional $5,000 dealer markup on top of the MSRP."
Close checkbook, get up, say to the salesman, "pull this one, it plays jingle-bells", walkout.
FKKKKKKK That.
Drive old faithful to Wally-World for an oil change and four new tires.

Has anyone looked into buying a new automobile recently.
Look for $3,000 to $20,000 dealer price gouge pn top of MSRP sticker price.
Looked up the price on line, listed the MSRP.
Talked to the dealer on the phone, he mentioned MSRP and dealer incentives.
Took a rest drive and was preparing to write the check.
Salesman says, "Oh, by the way there is an additional $5,000 dealer markup on top of the MSRP."
Close checkbook, get up, say to the salesman, "pull this one, it plays jingle-bells", walkout.
FKKKKKKK That.
Drive old faithful to Wally-World for an oil change and four new tires.
Yup. The mark up is crazy if you are buying off the lot. But if you order and can wait a little bit you'll get a better price. I will NEVER pay over MSRP. I'll wait and will negotiate a decent deal

Yup. The mark up is crazy if you are buying off the lot. But if you order and can wait a little bit you'll get a better price. I will NEVER pay over MSRP. I'll wait and will negotiate a decent deal
You are so wrong, your speculation may work again by next summer.

You are so wrong, your speculation may work again by next summer.
Why are you always such a douche in your post and responses? All your responses tell me you're a bitter piece of crap or Internet bully. Chill Francis...

No I'm right! My Brother in Law bought a Jeep two weeks ago. They wanted 10k over MSRP for the one on the lot, BUT he could get one that was coming in a couple weeks for a good price. Today I went to the Mercedes dealer looking for a Sprinter. The ones on the lot are 20k over asking. If I'm willing to wait till late November I can get/order one for MSRP

One fact you are omitting. Those same dealers were forced to build huge facilities by the manufacturers in order to keep their franchises.
They made it up by selling discounted vehicles in volume. Now the overhead hasn’t dropped, payrolls are no less and the average net profit in the industry still hovers around 2%.
No one is forcing anyone to buy, yet nearly all dealers have a long list of orders.
Math is math, I didn’t invent it but running a dealership requires you make the balance sheet balance out.

Last edited:
Why are you always such a douche in your post and responses? All your responses tell me you're a bitter piece of crap or Internet bully. Chill Francis...

No I'm right! My Brother in Law bought a Jeep two weeks ago. They wanted 10k over MSRP for the one on the lot, BUT he could get one that was coming in a couple weeks for a good price. Today I went to the Mercedes dealer looking for a Sprinter. The ones on the lot are 20k over asking. If I'm willing to wait till late November I can get/order one for MSRP?
My friend knows a guy who worked with a woman who's husband was friends with.........

Last edited:
One fact you are omitting. Those same dealers were forced to build huge facilities by the manufacturers in order to keep their franchises.
They made it up by selling discounted vehicles in volume. Now the overhead hasn’t dropped, payrolls are no less and the average net profit in the industry still hovers around 2%.
No one is forcing anyone to buy, yet nearly all dealers have a long list of orders.
Math is math, I didn’t invent it but running a dealership requires you make the balance sheet balance out.
Math is math, if you want to pay $5,000 over MSRP for a car yet whine about BMW not giving you discount on the price of you bike and moan day and night because you can not buy doodads for it?
Just stating that it was a shit move to not say a word about $5,000 dealer markup until I had driven there and was ready to write the check.
Conducted the purchase as I did the R18, only I flew to St Louis to pick it up.
Likewise had discussed the price of the cat on the phone ahead of time, then they tried to slip another $5,000 on top.
Do you think that is good business?

I woulda walked just on principle.

Years ago Mrs. Todkavonic bought an Acura. I did my research and called three dealerships. They all had the car (pearl white, tan interior, TSX). They all had a no-haggle upfront pricing disclaimer on their websites. I confirmed with each, one after another, what the out the door price would be. For the sake of the story, let's just say it was an even $30k. Then I went to the first dealership.

Well, the salesman was super sorry, but there are a few fees he just didn't add and so, by golly, the price would be a couple thousand more, $32 and change. I says ok, is this the part where we haggle? And he gives me this weird sort of affirmation nod. I says alright, I'll give you $29. He had this confused "this guy is haggling in the wrong direction" look then says, excuse me, and goes to speak with the manager. I'm smiling knowing that the very same car is available at two other places and it's only like 10 am.

He returns and says, $30 it is!

Back