Battery Tenders

Great decision Bigal. I found the instruction booklet a bit confusing TBH with lots of flashing lights to decipher however as soon as I started using it it all made much more sense. Basically it has two operating modes, either a bog standard trickle charger OR (as we want) a CANBUS charger.

Mine came already switched to CANBUS and yours probably will too. The booklet explains how to switch it between modes anyway.

Plug it in, switch on. The unit then goes through a number of cycles ( a bit like Close Encounters ) with flashing LED’s all over the place while it tests and re-tests itself then decides what it needs to do, if anything. That’s it. You soon learn to ignore it completely, I have. Every so often it fires itself up to do a check and then goes back to sleep mode. It’s been terrific and no matter when I go to fire my bike up, on cold days, she fires straight away every time. Perfecto 👌

Great decision Bigal. I found the instruction booklet a bit confusing TBH with lots of flashing lights to decipher however as soon as I started using it it all made much more sense. Basically it has two operating modes, either a bog standard trickle charger OR (as we want) a CANBUS charger.

Mine came already switched to CANBUS and yours probably will too. The booklet explains how to switch it between modes anyway.

Plug it in, switch on. The unit then goes through a number of cycles ( a bit like Close Encounters ) with flashing LED’s all over the place while it tests and re-tests itself then decides what it needs to do, if anything. That’s it. You soon learn to ignore it completely, I have. Every so often it fires itself up to do a check and then goes back to sleep mode. It’s been terrific and no matter when I go to fire my bike up, on cold days, she fires straight away every time. Perfecto 👌
Good morning gentlemen! I am still learning the warning lights on my 2022 R18 719. I have this green flashing plug in zip tied to the right side frame in front of the toolbox. I thought it was the security alarm. Now it is flashing yellow and changes to flashing red when ignition is on. It is also showing wrench symbol and warning. This flashing unit also has a plug in with two round receptacles. Is this a charging connector?

Good morning gentlemen! I am still learning the warning lights on my 2022 R18 719. I have this green flashing plug in zip tied to the right side frame in front of the toolbox. I thought it was the security alarm. Now it is flashing yellow and changes to flashing red when ignition is on. It is also showing wrench symbol and warning. This flashing unit also has a plug in with two round receptacles. Is this a charging connector?
That’s not a stock item. Possible that your dealer wired in an external charge plug. For example, here is an Optimate version: https://www.amazon.com/Optimate-Monitor-Permanent-Integrated-Lithium/dp/B00Y38X8WW/ref=asc_df_B00Y38X8WW/

This will indicate the current state of charge of the battery. When you switch the ignition on, there is a load on the battery, so it may switch to showing lower state of charge.

What battery tenders have you used to maintain and charge the battery?
NOCO chargers. They have been making chargers since 1914. American company. Their products are the best IMHO. I've taken off five or six times and forgot to unplug. I don't realize I didn't unplug until the NOCOn bounces up and slaps me on my helmet. I've gove four miles and the NOCO still worked. I have six NOCOs on my farm I could do NOCO commercials.

That’s not a stock item. Possible that your dealer wired in an external charge plug. For example, here is an Optimate version: https://www.amazon.com/Optimate-Monitor-Permanent-Integrated-Lithium/dp/B00Y38X8WW/ref=asc_df_B00Y38X8WW/

This will indicate the current state of charge of the battery. When you switch the ignition on, there is a load on the battery, so it may switch to showing lower state of charge.
Thank you so much! Make sense since I couldn’t find it on the owner’s manual. If we assume that it is the battery flashing low condition, it may not be related to the warning/wrench on the menu screen. Is it safe to assume that it warning/wrench is for the maintenance BASED ON TIME? The bike is brand new 2022 that I received 1/21/23.

Back