bit!

Thanks for everyone's advice about the R18 as one's only bike. There were many sound suggestions for keeping my more practical 1250RS. I ignored common sense and went with a Classic.

Dealer made me an offer that was hard to refuse.

Looking forward to riding!
Welcome to the Classic.
R18 Classic so far….

Have 4000km on my R18 Classic. Gorgeous bike, great engine with gobs of torque, handles well once you get the suspension preload figured. General build quality is great and I love the overall feel and vibe of this bike. Planning some long days in the saddle once everything opens up.

Now the cons. Front fender is tiny and useless. Need a proper fender like the R75etc. Even riding on damp streets coats the oil cooler and engine front with goo. Windshield should be 3 inches taller. I’m only 5’10” and had to put on a Wunderlich deflector to reduce helmet buffet. Also wish BMW offered some lower wind deflection and fender mount rear rack.
The stock seat is abysmal. Far too hard and skinny for any serious distance riding. Unfortunately for both customers and dealers, BMW has really dropped the ball on accessories. A serious case of overpromise and under deliver. Been waiting 3 months for the optional cross country seat and engine guard. No indication yet when these will be available in Canada.

Finally bought an engine guard from Wunderlich and using an Airhawk seat cushion for any rides over an hour.

Thanks for everyone's advice about the R18 as one's only bike. There were many sound suggestions for keeping my more practical 1250RS. I ignored common sense and went with a Classic.

Dealer made me an offer that was hard to refuse.

Looking forward to riding!
My Africa Twin was definitely the most suitable bike for me but couldn’t resist the Classic. Early days yet but feeling optimistic.

My Africa Twin was definitely the most suitable bike for me but couldn’t resist the Classic. Early days yet but feeling optimistic.
Similar experience. I went in to demo R1250R/Dynamic Pro/The whole Nine. Returned that bike, demo R18 FE out of curiosity: Could NOT Get my mind off of the R18. Returned to the dealer at closing and brought the bike home/overnight to ride 145+ miles to qualify as a demo. 1250R felt … “Soft”

Clivescott Don’t hold your breath I’ve been waiting since April 27 spoke to someone in corporate headquarters BMW north New Jersey they had no idea when Accessories will be available

Welcome to the Classic.
R18 Classic so far….

Have 4000km on my R18 Classic. Gorgeous bike, great engine with gobs of torque, handles well once you get the suspension preload figured. General build quality is great and I love the overall feel and vibe of this bike. Planning some long days in the saddle once everything opens up.

Now the cons. Front fender is tiny and useless. Need a proper fender like the R75etc. Even riding on damp streets coats the oil cooler and engine front with goo. Windshield should be 3 inches taller. I’m only 5’10” and had to put on a Wunderlich deflector to reduce helmet buffet. Also wish BMW offered some lower wind deflection and fender mount rear rack.
The stock seat is abysmal. Far too hard and skinny for any serious distance riding. Unfortunately for both customers and dealers, BMW has really dropped the ball on accessories. A serious case of overpromise and under deliver. Been waiting 3 months for the optional cross country seat and engine guard. No indication yet when these will be available in Canada.

Finally bought an engine guard from Wunderlich and using an Airhawk seat cushion for any rides over an hour.
I ordered a Day Rider from the dealer in Houston and had the seat in three days. There's 35% margin in the seats. Room to negotiate if you go in person. I was surprised...Not surprised with the difference the day rider makes. Thanks !

Don't worry for accessories !
I waited 1 year for my bike!
Pre-order september 2019, delivery september 2020 !

🤣😅

I ordered a Day Rider from the dealer in Houston and had the seat in three days. There's 35% margin in the seats. Room to negotiate if you go in person. I was surprised...Not surprised with the difference the day rider makes. Thanks !
I consider to also order a brown day rider saddle for my FE Pure (not Classic). I already have changed to the 2cm higher stock seat from the Classic which is still too hard for me. Is the comfort difference between the stock seat and day rider significant? How is the look? The day rider is slightly wider, right? Could you possibly post a picture? Thanks.

I consider to also order a brown day rider saddle for my FE Pure (not Classic). I already have changed to the 2cm higher stock seat from the Classic which is still too hard for me. Is the comfort difference between the stock seat and day rider significant? How is the look? The day rider is slightly wider, right? Could you possibly post a picture? Thanks.
F5E4966D-527D-4BA6-87F5-61007CA861D2.jpeg37C5B47E-C8AB-47DE-9388-6B7C283F9C12.jpeg9F3242B9-F981-4367-9672-DF782503DCD8.jpeg

Apologies for the delay. I’ve had the entire progression. Stock FE was too firm. The “Tall Seat” was much better. The Mustang Day Rider is next level, game changer. Highly recommend. Appearance wise, I like the Vintage Roundels. I rattle canned the stock fasteners with some some vintage “hammered copper” spray paint. I run out of fuel before running out of comfort with the Day Rider.

Good luck.

Back