BMW Connected App

I don’t have a connec like that on mine
If you have a the Model B or the TC; you have an USB-C connector within the phone cradle compartment. Follow the cable in the picture I posted,.connected to a Motorola RAZR flip phone. The USB-C is located on the Left Hand Side within the compartment; it's hard to see since it is located within the side of the cradle.

I see there's a pretty recent update to the app on November 27, 2023 (Ver. 5.1.1); I'll have to keep an eye out for any new bugs and or issues if I sneak out for a 2024 maiden ride today..

I don't think I've ridden the bike since the new update has been applied...
This update seems to have botched the MPH icon that pops at the top left of the TFT when using turn by turn or map. Looks like it shows KPH now. Hope they’ll push a fix soon.

Also, a non app issue, would be nice to have an easy flip to KPH as I’m so close to Canada and hoping to ride over in the spring. No workable solution on the US bikes, as I understand it.

This update seems to have botched the MPH icon that pops at the top left of the TFT when using turn by turn or map. Looks like it shows KPH now. Hope they’ll push a fix soon.

Also, a non app issue, would be nice to have an easy flip to KPH as I’m so close to Canada and hoping to ride over in the spring. No workable solution on the US bikes, as I understand it.

I wanted to try and sneak out yesterday for a 2024 ride, where I could have compared my previous experience with the Connect App with the recent version which was pushed this past November (didn't happen due to snow flurries). :-(

Can you verify that you have MPH selected within the App Settings:

Screenshot_20240102-063845.png

Hopefully the BMW Motorrad end users, that are experiencing poor functionality within the ConnectApp are rating it appropriately within the app itself; I think that is the best lever to pull on if we expect to see improvements from BMW.

Some Sr VP owns the Connect App product, and will need to address the issues head-on, in order to show a positive rating for the department's performance.

Currently the app has a 4.2 Star rating:

Screenshot_20240102-082835.png

I wanted to try and sneak out yesterday for a 2024 ride, where I could have compared my previous experience with the Connect App with the recent version which was pushed this past November (didn't happen due to snow flurries). :-(

Can you verify that you have MPH selected within the App Settings:

View attachment 12739
Yep, set to miles. There’s a recent review in the Apple App Store citing the same issue. Would imagine it’s widespread but the update pushed when a lot of us put the bikes up for the season.

Yep, set to miles. There’s a recent review in the Apple App Store citing the same issue. Would imagine it’s widespread but the update pushed when a lot of us put the bikes up for the season.
Agreed.. so our issues are probably being masked or suppressed as most aren't utilizing the app or their bikes; I did however notice that I needed to download all of my map files AGAIN...

Similar to reporting the headlight issues - this stuff needs to be made known.

I encourage everyone to review the app in their respective App Store, and send BMW a message with your opinions:

[email protected]

These bikes are too expensive and BMW is too premium a brand for people to just accept mediocrity.

Similar to reporting the headlight issues - this stuff needs to be made known.

I encourage everyone to review the app in their respective App Store, and send BMW a message with your opinions:

[email protected]

These bikes are too expensive and BMW is too premium a brand for people to just accept mediocrity.
I rated the app at 2 stars this morning; they need better quality control and regression testing before making their app software generally available.

I have found a specific spot where I lose the Map Image and get the basic text Street Name or Road that I'm riding on; this disconnect event happens every single time I ride on Rt-17 in NJ within a specific 100 yard stretch of highway as one example. I'm sure it is RF co-channel interference (same radio frequency) within the Wi-Fi link between my phone and the TFT system. The navigation map function always seems to restore itself automatically

I have experienced the same and I can replicate it on the route. I have quite a bit of experience with RF related stuff and this specific issue is RFI related. For me, it's a local commuter train crossing and I know those things have all kinds of radio equipment working in the big city.

FWIW, my new wireless Android Auto adapter for my car has the same exact problem, so not all of the issues are with the BMW app.

The RF problems themselves are not with the BMW connected app.

The issues are with how the app handles them.

First, they use a hokey kludge that requires jumping through some weird hoops to use.

Second, the app usually does not fail or recover gracefully.

Those things need to be improved, as well as many other little things just just as a whole make me not interested in using the app - it’s just not worth it.

I work in IT solving IT issues all day - I don’t want to have to do it on my motorcycle too. I ride to get away from all that. :)

Back