Camping!

Lunasea2

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Greetings!
I and my new prized and loved R18TC are headed out for our first campout. Loads of GSers out there ride and camp, but rare to see any touring bikes. I won't be out on the dirt roads, the creekbeds or the rocky hill climbs, but will meet up with the rough riders later.... I hope no one cares!

Attachments

• 20221103_134618.jpg
    20221103_134618.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 25
Have a great time. You'll get a lot of questions. the GS guys don't ever make fun of my R18. Most people are interested and curious, amazed by how much you paid (if you shopped around) and how much it weighs. They'll deduce it's not for them but they'll appreciate the bike and curious why you bought it. It's a conversation starter at rallies when everyone is on RT and GS bikes.

thanks! I do think there will be many interested riders wishing to get a closer look. Several GS riders in the club have said (some privately) that they've never taken their "adventure" bikes off the pavement.

I have been looking at a variety of alternatives for carrying camping gear on the new beast. My GS didnt have a top box and the aluminum panniers made a terrific platform for hauling lots of gear. The big R18TC with top box is going to challenge the loading of camp gear. I am now looking at a large cylindrical shaped bag to sit upright on passenger seat.

Attachments

• 20230209_123807.jpg
    20230209_123807.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230209_123814.jpg
    20230209_123814.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Next time I go camping off the R18, I'll post a few photos or a video clip of my setup. Biggest thing I save weight on is my tent and sleeping arrangements. My entire sleeping, cooking setup and iPad fit in the top box so the side is free for food, tools and clothes along with a first aid kit and whiskey.

But my tent is pretty bare bones. 2 man, air mattress and backpacking sleeping bag and air pillow. So it all folds up really small. If you have a 4 or 6 man tent or one of those Redverz ones, then I'd highly recommend a dry bag.

My last 1500 mile road trip setup included BMW's seat bag that was very convenient to have and doubled as a back rest but it's not water proof:
52286505099_dcd74b482f_b.jpg

My wife has the 31L version of this bag - https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-Waterproof-Adventure-Dry-Bag and I think it'd be too big for the R18 I'll test fit it but it might get in the way of the side luggage opening & top case opening as well. It's an awkward place bag there. Oddly enough, the way the BMW back seat bag is designed, you can open the top case without issue as it just barely clears it (nice job BMW)

By the way, and for benefit of other R18 riders, I had a K1600gtl 5 years ago. I did two very long rides (no camping) and during one stretch, riding over the Rockies, we came to a 5 mile road construction area. The const guys had stripped off the asphalt and had laid down a bed of gravel in preparation for new road. The big K bike didnt like that one bit! On another part of the ride we encountered more road const that was just loose gravel and dirt... I was down to about 5-10 mph and seriously pissing off cars behind me on the one lane road. I figured if I go down, better it be at low speed! I made it without incident, but still scary. I stopped at a gas station convenience store for a water break. A guy who was driving behind me said how impressed he was that I had managed to handle the road condition. He said he was a GS rider and over many years of mostly highway riding he ran into enough torn up roads that he quit big, heavy touring bikes and got the dual sport. I listened and made the swap - K16 for R1200gs (I did swap the R1200 for the new R1250GSA). Long story here but gave up riding for about a year due to health issue. I missed the riding so much I jumped back in last fall and saw the R18TC at a great price. And here I am. I cant say that the ride on the big boxer is so spectacularly superior. I did several 500+ mile days on the GS (I'm in my 60s) with ease and the r1250gsa sure had all the bells and whistles that the R1800tc has. Our BMW club hits many places where a dual sport would be far more suitable for getting into such remote spots. Jury is still out since Ive only put about 1500 miles on new bike.

Love to hear from you and others about thoughts and opinions!

Congratulations on celebrating a return to good health with your new R18!

Sounds like while it may have been a bit of work your experience and training saw you through in fine shape! While I keep my eyes, feet and revs up (and less weight especially up high is alway helpful), I think these big donut shaped and smooth pattern rear tires whether on a K16 or a R18, etc., are really never able to get a bite and if the heavily weighted front starts to sink and/or plow it makes for a handful real quick. That all said, I've ridden a bit of gravel on many motorcycles too and based on what you've shared I think you'll "easily" find similar success on your R18.

As a side note, I think you'll see her breaking in nicely by 3-4Ks and find she has several sweet spots in the RPM range as you stretch her legs more and more with improved mileage and exhaust sounds as bonuses too.

🍻🍻 To continued good health and many miles of happy riding!

Back