Classic softbags on regular R18

Markuzz

Site Supporter
Hello gents,

Quick question: does anyone know if the softbags as mounted to the R18 Classic will bolt on a regular R18?

Kind regards,

Markuzz.

The Base R18 & Classic are nearly the same bike, so most parts can cross-over. The biggest difference is the exhaust. The Classic bags won’t fit on a Base R18 with the stock Base R18 exhaust. It goes up too high. If you switch to the Classic exhaust, everything would bolt right up.

I was at the dealership looking into this, and I advise you to do the same. I also have a base R18 and was looking at bags.
The Classic bags are not only connected with a the fender support,
They also have a bottom frame support that attaches to the end of the engine frame right below the battery covers on each side. So you need a shorter exhaust to do that.
I was on the parts website and priced everything up. It looks like it would be around the $2000 to 2500 mark here in the US, to retrofit with classic bags, assuming you have a shorter exhaust :/

I ended up installing $400 universal Saddlemen Cruise’n bags. They serve the purpose, but I know they wont last very long.

Not sure if the standard R18 has the mounting points for the Classic side bags on the rear fender? if not you'll need to replace the fender and rear support that holds rear light and indicators as well :oops:

Could get very costly. Lots of luggage options out there that will do the job for a fraction of the price (y)

The softbags from the classic will not work with the OEM 'Fishtail' pipes. You have to switch slip ons as well .. and then you need the side shields for the exhaust and the lower brackets ... not easy, but it can be done .. I did ;)

The softbags from the classic will not work with the OEM 'Fishtail' pipes. You have to switch slip ons as well .. and then you need the side shields for the exhaust and the lower brackets ... not easy, but it can be done .. I did ;)
How much did it set you back? If you dont mind my question 🤷🏻‍♂️

How much did it set you back? If you dont mind my question 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ohhh I don't know for sure .. because I made that a deal-breaker option when I bought the bike and the dealer did most of it ... I went with 'Freedom' slip-ons and they came with the lower bracket for the bags .. I am not sure if the side covers (covers between the header pipes and slip-ons) came from 'Freedom' or from BMW. Sorry that is all the info I have for you.

Back