Competition: 2022 BMW Transcontinental VS 2022 HD RoadGlide Special

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
Strange bmw did not make the R18 engine smooth at 80mph…from what some say If such is the case. Should not be that hard to bake that into the design of what BMW wanted to achieve with the R18B/TC trims If they wanted. Hum, maybe the engine needs 5 to 10k miles before the engine settles into place and less vibs.

HD does do good work with their Street and Road Glide fairings. Always like the HD Street handlebar fairings…just seems old school to me…then again, the front end is easier to steer with a frame mounted fairing.
priceless…well, save for the extra cost :)

The R18C is perfect with the sidecar.Kinda like riding in a pickup truck with half a load.It really is a smoother better ride with the sidecar.
Before I had the the car put on it was a bit like a Fatboy.Better suspension of course and although not a canyon racer the low center of gravity makes it a very friendly and easy bike to ride as a 2 wheeler.I would prefer a larger tank but I get it and where they were going with the design.I also would have liked a little more rear suspension travel.That being said.The roads here in Arizona really don't pose a problem.We just came back Mt St Helen's and down Hwy 1 in California.The bike is lots a fun.
The Springfield was a after thought combining the original Chieftain and the Vintage.The vintage w/leather bags and windshield had a different longer rake and took a little more effort to maneuver espicially in slow speed riding.The Chieftain with the added weight of the fairing needed to have a shorter rake to make it handle easier.All the Thunderstrokes I've owned are very comfortable to ride and are definately a long distance machine.I bought the 1st year 2014 Chieftain and a Vietnam buddy of mine owned(retired now,shop closed)Thunder Mfg here in Phx.He had a dyno and 2 cnc machines so we designed the the 1st round A/C.It was named "Thunder Charged" He also designed a rack that was able to install a HD tour pack.Funny I was in Sturgis the year Indian brought out the Roadmaster and everyone thought I had one.Mike Corbin was there and he got to see the seat ne made for my bike and the back rest for the HD trunk.I had them put a small pair of eagle feathers where the seat ans arm rest had their name.
Sorry to go on here.I guess I'm getting old and reminiscing.Anyway,I put 95,000 on that bike and it is still running around in Arkansas #459

View attachment 6860
Then I bought my 2017 Limited and turned it into a 116
View attachment 6861View attachment 6862
Kind of a convertible w/o tour pack

Then with:View attachment 6863
Kinda miss the 116 though the 2022 has quite a few improvements over the years.
I got the 111 and it seems to really run well espicially with the different modes.It rides as well but handles better than the prevoius Chieftains.My last one had the larger 19 inch front wheel.The Springfield is just easier to ride(130/80-17) and probably the best handling Thunderstroke they make.Transmission is bout perfect.My 14 took time to break in.This one shifts like butter.Indian also increased the oil capacity from 5.5 qts to a full 6 quarts.
I also worked for Indian after I retired for a couple years and the Indian trunk fitted to my 17 also fits the 22.
I also have the cooled & heated seat that goes with the trunk that I kept.So,I have both seats andd the luggage passenger backrest.
Only have 800 miles.So far it is the coolest runner of my 3 and I deleted the cats on them.I'm gonna stick with the cat,111 and stg1 A/C.
I have a new set of stg 2 cams but,I may sell em.Not really needed and I dont want another build engine.

View attachment 6864
Beautiful bike! Does the windshield do as good of a job routing air as a fairing?

View attachment 6839
In this competition, high score is 5.
(The R18TC is minus the topbox)

a) Wind Protection. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The R18TC has a superb fairing. The RG114 has a frame mounted fairing 3 ft away.

b) Suspension. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The R18TC computer control is spot on. The RG114 is a bit stiff. Manual adjust is under seat.

c) Stock Seat. BMW = 3, HD = 5
The pocket on the RG114 is perfect. The R18TC has no fill in the front crotch area.

d) Saddle Bag Quality & Security. BMW = 5, HD = 3
R18TC has elegant open and close. The system lock on the R18 is not available on the RG114.

e) Saddle Bag Capacity. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The RG114 has "stretch bags" that wrap around the muffler pipe.

f) Ride Ergonomics. HD = 5, BMW = 4
I removed the stock floor boards on the R18TC and replaced with 10" feet forward boards.
(BMW could easily manufacture a longer board as there is plenty of room. My boards reach 4 inches further)

g) Bike Info and Ride Data. BMW = 5, HD = 2
The screen on the R18TC is extraordinary in providing bike data. The RG114 provides time.

h) Bike Feel at 70 mph. BMW = 5, HD = 5
At 2,500 rpm in 6th, R18TC is silky smooth. At 2,600 rpm in 6th, RG114 is silky smooth.

i) Bike Feel at 80 mph. HD = 4, BMW = 3
The RG114 has a slight but noticeable bike buzz. The R18TC gives a foot massage.

j) Ease of Shifting. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The toe shift lever peg on the R18TC could be a bit longer to prevent a missed shift.
This evaluation is more about the location and length of levers rather than the transmission.

k) Pulling Power at 60mph. BMW = 5. HD = 5
Both bikes have smooth and immediate pulling without engine chatter. (R18TC in Rock Mode)

l) Overall Optics and Beauty. BMW = 5, HD = 4
Nothing needs to be said here.

m) Miles per Gallon. HD = 5, BMW = 4
The RG114 gets 45/46. The R18TC gets 42/43. (this may change after break-in)

n) Price New. BMW = 5, HD = 3
The R18TC was $23.7k. The RG114 was $30k

o) Sound System. BMW = 5, HD = 4
The Marshall system can really crank it. The RG114 special has improved sound over RG107

AND THE WINNER IS: R18TC = 67, RG114 = 63
Took my brand new TC on a 120 mile ride yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Stock windscreen puts the wind just at the top 1" of my head (I'm 5'10"). Just enough to tousle my hair a little bit and keep me cool. I love that it's not in my eyes, trying to blow my glasses off, etc. Please, would you tell me where you got the extended footboards? Thanks!!!

The Indian & BMW have twice the rear suspension travel than the HD.Better ride for sure.
Slow speed handling around town and in the neighborhood the HD is less top heavy.Maybe easier to ride is why it scored big,I don't know but the guys did a pretty good job explaining their(yes their)views.Don't need to hate em.
Pros & cons like anything.
Not HATING but,I looked at the TC and found it to be top heavy getting it off the stand compared to my R18C.It would be a great bike for a sidecar but not my cup of tea as a 2wheeler.That's me.
My Springfield was built for me and hopefully you are riding the bike that was built for you.
If not,better get one,LOL!
Agreed about getting the TC off the stand. I'm a pretty strong guy, and I have to muscle the hell out of it to get it upright off the stand.

Beautiful bike! Does the windshield do as good of a job routing air as a fairing?
The windshield is pretty darn good but a full fairing with the electronic adjustment is a little better for protection.To me I prefer the Springfield.

Agreed about getting the TC off the stand. I'm a pretty strong guy, and I have to muscle the hell out of it to get it upright off the stand.
Turn your handlebars all the way to the right so the throttle is closest to the gas tank. While standing or sitting you then give a simple nudge with your left inner thigh and she will pop right up almost too easily. Trying to lift from the hand grip has you at the worst mechanical leverage, It's similar to BMWs with a center stand where by doing the lifting "correctly" the bike pops up with almost zero effort v. "incorrectly" where it seems like you need "2 men and a boy" to do the same.

It doesn't seem like it should make that much difference in effort, but it does.

Reactions: Vyk
A few things about the HD. It's difficult to get much out of 2" of suspension travel and then there's the heat from the engine, at least stock. If there was any obstacle for me it's just going into a HD dealer, at least where I live. I feel like an atheist walking in on a Pentecostal Revival. Then there is the shuck and jive going through the buying process. My friends who ride HDs tell me it's 2-3 hours of profit inducing process(I was in and out in a hour with my RT). If HD sold directly like Apple does, I could see it. In fact I hope all vehicle manufacturers would go to that model. Transparency and consistency. I just can't see myself spending 30K+ on that.

Back