Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde exhaust and bag protection bars

fleabag

I’m 0-2 trying to install bag protection bars on my bagger with this exhaust. The Wunderlich and the Helibars protection bars do not fit due to the larger exhaust diameter. I will have to lower the exhaust, maybe 1/4”, to accommodate the Helibars. I loved the look of the Wunderlich chrome protection bars, but I won’t keep them in favor of the Helibars. It’s always something :-|

Attachments

• IMG_5071.jpeg
    IMG_5071.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
I also like the look of the Wunderlich case protection bars; however, they're not necessary...
They are great for the ocassional encounter with a shopping cart. But seriousley, they would do nothing for a tipover, but would provide some impact protection from something, maybe like a cart. If I could keep both, I would. I do like how they look.

I agree with the look...

I had the original Wunderlich protection bars on my Bagger, that was making contact with the frame; I swapped them out for the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust system through the Wunderlich folks...

Screenshot_20240418-152716.png

I agree with the look...

I had the original Wunderlich protection bars on my Bagger, that was making contact with the frame; I swapped them out for the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust system through the Wunderlich folks...

View attachment 14042
Yeah, I remember you telling me that. The top mount of the WL bar mounts at the same location as the Helibar. I’m going to try and use some spacers to drop the exhaust a bit to try and get the Helibars to fit, it might be cool to have both installed :) There might be some WL bars for sale soon.

Check out the before and after side case protection bars pictures in the attached thread:

Scott is right. When I had the unfortunate drop just outside my garage, the only damage I had was a scratch on the OEM engine bar. The right pannier did not touch the ground, nor did the exhaust. One has to bear in mind that the drop was an oh sh*t slow motion drop to the side , were I felt she was going down and I though there was no chance of me holding up that weight, so I simply let her go. My buddy torn ligaments on his arm and back last year when he tried to hold up his HD during a fall and he’s still recovering.
The pavement outside my garage is asphalt on an incline.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I had a tip over due to the kick stand retracting due to me not paying attention and it snapped back. The bags didn’t hit but it did rest on the bottom of the OEM exhaust.

I had a tip over due to the kick stand retracting due to me not paying attention and it snapped back. The bags didn’t hit but it did rest on the bottom of the OEM exhaust.
I had a similar drop in my garage; however, I didn't note any contact scratches on my Jekyll & Hyde exhaust? Maybe the slight incline was enough to prevent the exhaust from making contact; regardless, I just don't see the value in the case protection. Insurance may not cover what they would deem as an "aftermarket" accessory, which will also need to be repaired or replaced, along with the side cases.

I'll see if I can find some pictures that I took of a Model B or TC that was at the dealership after going down; there was damage on the engine protection bar, front fender, front fairing, exhaust, ignition cover and rear case.

Screenshot_20240419-075240.pngScreenshot_20240419-075223.pngScreenshot_20240419-075209.pngScreenshot_20240419-075156.pngScreenshot_20240419-075140.png

I had a similar drop in my garage; however, I didn't note any contact scratches on my Jekyll & Hyde exhaust? Maybe the slight incline was enough to prevent the exhaust from making contact; regardless, I just don't see the value in the case protection. Insurance may not cover what they would deem as an "aftermarket" accessory, which will also need to be repaired or replaced, along with the side cases.

I'll see if I can find some pictures that I took of a Model B or TC that was at the dealership after going down; there was damage on the engine protection bar, front fender, front fairing, exhaust, ignition cover and rear case.

View attachment 14046View attachment 14047View attachment 14048View attachment 14049View attachment 14050
At least they provide a handle to help pick up the bike :). Speaking of scratches, I noticed a nice scrape on the bottom of my exhaust forward of the left floorboard from cornering. Yikes. Anyway, I used some 1/4” spacers to lower the Dr. Jekyll exhaust so I could get the bars on. It’s still not lower than the lowest part of the bike so I’m not concerned. I also put a new back tire on since I had the bags and exhaust off the bike. I had to enlist the wife to slide the axle in while I lifted that pig of rear wheel onto the bike :) Next up is the Tour Commander handle bars then I think I’m done. (yeah right)

Edit, I’m still considerng adding the aux lights, I have the winglets already. The mods never end.

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5089.jpeg
    IMG_5089.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
So the bag protection bars are on, and what else could go wrong? My new Kern Stabi jack handle hits the bar when I try to jack up the rear. Ugh. Now, I have to modify the handle. It’s always something.

Back