Freedom Performance Installation?

So, finally got the weather/time to start the process of installing the FP slip-ons in the R18B. Everything was going relatively smoothly until it came to lining the stock heat shields back up and bolting them down. Basically, the angle of the provided mid-pipe doesn't seem to have a position in the wiggle room provided to line the heat shield from the muffler to the cat side heatshield. I decided to put it down for the evening and revisit tomorrow, but does anyone who has install it have some insight on maybe whether the mid pipe needs to angle up, out or somewhere in between?

Unfortunately, it looks like FPE sort of phoned it in on the directions. All of the pictures are basically shown on a pure/classic, and they're terrible resolution/way too zoomed in to see any context to position things. Any insight would be appreciated! I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get back at it to show what seems to be the problem.

Hmmm ... I can't speak for the 'B' I have a 'FE' and I am using the heat-shields from the 'Classic' ... but the stand-offs where the heat shield fastens to, can move on mine and I just had to move them into the correct position for the holes .. the only issue i ran into was that I broke 1 of the clip-on nuts .. had to brace that one back together.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 15.26.40.png
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 15.27.24.png

I am going to order a few spares ...

Hmmm ... I can't speak for the 'B' I have a 'FE' and I am using the heat-shields from the 'Classic' ... but the stand-offs where the heat shield fastens to, can move on mine and I just had to move them into the correct position for the holes .. the only issue i ran into was that I broke 1 of the clip-on nuts .. had to brace that one back together.
View attachment 8835
View attachment 8836

I am going to order a few spares ...
Thanks, yea the mounting with the hard bags looks completely different. Just not sure how the mid pipe is supposed to sit to make the shields fit

So, finally got the weather/time to start the process of installing the FP slip-ons in the R18B. Everything was going relatively smoothly until it came to lining the stock heat shields back up and bolting them down. Basically, the angle of the provided mid-pipe doesn't seem to have a position in the wiggle room provided to line the heat shield from the muffler to the cat side heatshield. I decided to put it down for the evening and revisit tomorrow, but does anyone who has install it have some insight on maybe whether the mid pipe needs to angle up, out or somewhere in between?

Unfortunately, it looks like FPE sort of phoned it in on the directions. All of the pictures are basically shown on a pure/classic, and they're terrible resolution/way too zoomed in to see any context to position things. Any insight would be appreciated! I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get back at it to show what seems to be the problem.
My Freedom Performance install was on my 2021 FE. It went better than good. the heat shields are clamped so I had a little wiggle room. I don't know what's different with thr R18B. I got the 41?2" FP. Perfect increase in sound. Better, but not too loud. Good luck man.

My Freedom Performance install was on my 2021 FE. It went better than good. the heat shields are clamped so I had a little wiggle room. I don't know what's different with thr R18B. I got the 41?2" FP. Perfect increase in sound. Better, but not too loud. Good luck man.
I spoke with someone why has an FE and a bagger over the weekend, both with freedom exhaust. He said they have different mounting hardware to accommodate the frame differences. The hardware bag that came in my box had been cut and had a piece of clear tape sealing it back shut. My guess is that I was sent FE hardware instead of B/TC. Waiting for FPE technical support to call me back on it, but after tinkering with it for several hours over the weekend, there is no possible way everything can line up and fit with the provided hardware (unless I missed something).

A little bummed that I spent a lot of time messing with it and will likely have to partially redo it, not to mention my bike is sitting half apart (in my wife's garage spot, while we get several inches of ice....), but I guess that's sort of the purpose of doing stuff like that in the winter... no rideable weather in the forecast anyway.

I spoke with someone why has an FE and a bagger over the weekend, both with freedom exhaust. He said they have different mounting hardware to accommodate the frame differences. The hardware bag that came in my box had been cut and had a piece of clear tape sealing it back shut. My guess is that I was sent FE hardware instead of B/TC. Waiting for FPE technical support to call me back on it, but after tinkering with it for several hours over the weekend, there is no possible way everything can line up and fit with the provided hardware (unless I missed something).

A little bummed that I spent a lot of time messing with it and will likely have to partially redo it, not to mention my bike is sitting half apart (in my wife's garage spot, while we get several inches of ice....), but I guess that's sort of the purpose of doing stuff like that in the winter... no rideable weather in the forecast anyway.
Sorry to hear about your woes and the weather brother ... we had a chilly 18ºF this morning ... but the forecast calls for 'high' 30's and semi dry .. things are looking up :cool: ... and I am sure the folks from 'Freedom' will fix you up and you will be up and running in no time ... hang in there!

I'm sure you're getting the stink eye look from the wife... Maybe Freedom can expedite parts out to you; send them a picture of what you currently have, they may be able to determine the issue.

I'm sure you're getting the stink eye look from the wife... Maybe Freedom can expedite parts out to you; send them a picture of what you currently have, they may be able to determine the issue.
Hah, luckily her office closed today and likely tomorrow due to the ice. Talked to FPE earlier, sent a bunch of pictures (which are fun to go get in 8 degrees with sleet), waiting to see what they say. Sounds like an RMA which hopefully won't take too long.

08DE573B-6FBB-4E13-9A56-C405784374E1.jpeg
After dealing with the rude guy that is managing their shop phone, they seem to be telling me to pound sand. No help, no support, just “whatever”.

I’ll be doing a chargeback. Being a dick to someone who gave you $1,600 for some pipes is not the way. What a disappointment.

Maybe consider working with the US based Wunderlich folks; they carry the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust systems for the R18 models?

Wunderlich absolutely stands behind their products and their customer service is exceptional; example, I purchased the exhaust system at a discount, which was part of a credit for a returned product. I installed the J&H exhaust on my 2022 R18 B, where everything fit just as it should... definitely one of the best looking exhaust systems when compared to the stock exhaust.

Good luck with sorting this out...

View attachment 8878
After dealing with the rude guy that is managing their shop phone, they seem to be telling me to pound sand. No help, no support, just “whatever”.

I’ll be doing a chargeback. Being a dick to someone who gave you $1,600 for some pipes is not the way. What a disappointment.
Just asking.....Did you loosen your exhaust headbolts to allow you to slightly rotate the exhaustb header pipe to to allow everything to line up before tightening?

You seem to have them flat. Mine are a bit closer to a 45 degree angle to clear the bag bracket. But I'm on a Classic
As far as I can tell, the mid pipe angle is pretty much determined by where it meets the muffler pipe once it's tightened down. I've taken them on and off so many times now, I'm not sure it that picture was exactly where the muffler sits or not, but the only other adjustment point I can think of is to slide the muffler back from the mid pipe as much as the slots where it meets the bracket allow. That MAY stop it interfering with the foot controls, but I still think the angle will be too steep to sit flush with the muffler and bolt into the mid pipe brackets...

It's 10 degrees and a frozen wasteland right now, so tough to spend much time messing with it. They still seem to refuse to tell me what the difference between the two bike's hardware is. If this doesn't work, I may see if a shop will look at it, or try to return/refund.

Better off getting your money back, buying the V&H and removing the baffles surely? Considerably less money too.
I really wish khrome werks would develop slip ons for the B/TC.

Better off getting your money back, buying the V&H and removing the baffles surely? Considerably less money too.
I really wish khrome werks would develop slip ons for the B/TC.
I managed to find a bit more wiggle room by sliding the mufflers as far back off the mid pipe as the hardware would allow, which allowed me to get the heatshields back on without interference. The front and rear heatshield has more overlap than it should, BUT everything attaches and works. there is maybe an 1/8" gap from the rear heatshield and muffler due to the angle it had to go in.

I'm still talking with them, and they haven't budged on the possibility that I was sent something intended for the pure/classic instead of the B/TC. I don't know exactly how much difference in length there are between the two, but having the overall system seeming to need 2 more inches of length seems really suspect to me.

PROGRESS !! Eureka!! ... good on you for not giving up ;)
Hah, yea. I'm no professional mechanic, but I have been doing bolt ons for many many years. I'm sure they deal with plenty of idiots, but they need some education on customer service. Someone who gives you $1,500+ for a couple of pipes and has a few questions shouldn't be met with "whatever". They have been nothing but defensive and dismissive the whole time. I want nothing more than to make this work, and I will never purchase anything else from them, that's for sure.

Hah, yea. I'm no professional mechanic, but I have been doing bolt ons for many many years. I'm sure they deal with plenty of idiots, but they need some education on customer service. Someone who gives you $1,500+ for a couple of pipes and has a few questions shouldn't be met with "whatever". They have been nothing but defensive and dismissive the whole time. I want nothing more than to make this work, and I will never purchase anything else from them, that's for sure.
... and with an experience like that I do not blame you, if this would have happened to me, my reaction would be the same! This said .. I hope you can get it figured out the rest of the way and that you do enjoy them despite your odyssey getting to this point!

Back