Fuel cap vented or non-vented?

Im looking to change out my chrome stock fuel cap with a blacked out one. Im not opposed to the BMW motorrad blacked out cap but wanted to see what my other options are. Denniskirk.com and other parts sites have lots of after market fuel caps but Im unsure if the cap for the R18 Classic is vented or un-vented. Is there an easy way to tell?

Ulrich is correct, our fuel caps are unvented. They even have a double-seal to REALLY ensure the fuel vapors stay in place!

Instead, again like what Ulrich said, BMW uses an evaporative emissions system, which is a vent tube leading from a high point in the fuel tank to a charcoal canister (back by the rear shock absorber) to catch any fuel vapors, but most importantly, to ensure that the next time we open our fuel caps, they don't literally blow off in our faces like a champagne cork from built up pressure.

And, easy way to tell? Does the bottom (fuel-side) of the fuel cap look solid to you? If so, then it's not vented. Plus, our fuel caps I think are billet stainless, judging by the sheer weight of them.

Mike

Back