Fuel line

Puck

Site Supporter
Trying to get tank off my r18c. Not sure how to disconnect fuel line. Any pointers?

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Maybe I spoke too soon. Got everything I wanted to do done. Got things back together but now, no start with lo fuel warning on. The fuel connector is connected pretty well so…shrug. Will take another stab tomorrow.

For future reference, for these fuel lines, you push the black female fitting against the male, press the light grey tab inwards, then pull outwards.

Reinstallation is as simple as fitting the male and female parts together, ensuring a "click" happens. Do a light tug to ensure the fitting clamp is secure. It doesn't hurt to put some clean motor oil on the o-ring to ensure marring of the sealing surface doesn't occur either (and no, the tiny bit of oil won't harm your fuel system ;)).

Mike

Is there anything I should check for why I’m not getting fuel now?
Several things I'd check for:
  • Is the fuel pump in the tank running? Listen for the humming while the ignition is on.
  • If the fuel pump is running, I'd pull the affected fuel line (the one you've been testing) and see if it squirts fuel out (into a safe container). Is the fuel coming out at a high pressure or not at all?
  • If fuel isn't coming at all, I'd locate the first fuel exit point outside of the tank and see if the fuel pump is pumping at all (hook up a separate rubber fuel hose to said fuel exit point into safe container). If not, replace fuel filter/check pump screen.
  • If after replacing fuel filter/verifying pump screen and fuel system is reassembled, injectors still aren't working correctly, I'd replace the pressure regulator (assuming you don't already have a fuel pressure tester and cannot step test this; I'm assuming "poor-man" diagnosis here). Absent a BMW service manual, "typical" motorcycle fuel injection systems usually run around 30-60PSI of fuel pressure, but don't quote me on what our R18's run...again, no service manual, courtesy of BMW thinking we shouldn't work on our own bikes :rolleyes:.
  • If, after replacing the fuel filter, checking fuel pump screen, and replacing fuel pressure regulator, the system STILL isn't getting fuel, I'd check the fuel pump itself with a multimeter on the "Ohms" setting and verify that the stator coil of the motor is within specs (typically found with Google and the part # of the fuel pump motor), which is typically 3 ohms or below, depending on brand
  • Lastly (or, maybe firstly), if you have a GS-911, check codes. Is the engine throwing any?
Hope that helps??? 🤷‍♂️ That's what I'd do in your situation.

Mike

... did you plug everything back in? ... had that issue on a friends Kawa ... then realized we hooked up the fuel line but never connected the wires back to the fuel level sending unit.

... did you plug everything back in? ... had that issue on a friends Kawa ... then realized we hooked up the fuel line but never connected the wires back to the fuel level sending unit.
bingo! I’m an idiot. I hadn’t reconnected the wire harness. Took things back off to clean up my wiring and realized it.

bingo! I’m an idiot. I hadn’t reconnected the wire harness. Took things back off to clean up my wiring and realized it.
....Or, double-check if you reconnected the wire harness 😛 ;)

Sometimes, it's the simplest solution.

Mike

Back