Gas question

aicpjim

Site Supporter
Would you run 89 octane ethanol-free fuel in your bike, OR 93 octane with ethanol? Those are the choices available in my area. We used to have a station that sold 93 without ethanol, but they no longer offer that. I guess I could get the 89 ethanol free and just add some octane booster to every tank...

Or, a cheaper, BETTER route is to use an ethanol fuel conditioner! Been using them for years. Lucas Oil, Stabil, Amsoil, Startron all make them. Any auto parts, Walmart...etc all sell them. Add just one ounce to every tank. Very effective. Run 93 octane corn fuel and add one ounce.

Or, a cheaper, BETTER route is to use an ethanol fuel conditioner! Been using them for years. Lucas Oil, Stabil, Amsoil, Startron all make them. Any auto parts, Walmart...etc all sell them. Add just one ounce to every tank. Very effective. Run 93 octane corn fuel and add one ounce.
Never thought of that option. Seen those products before but my natural skepticism made me doubt they worked.

Never thought of that option. Seen those products before but my natural skepticism made me doubt they worked.
Oh, they work very well. Been using them for 15 years. They keep your fuel system clean...My bikes, as well as my other gas engines run perfectly.

You will also notice more HP/torque and better fuel mileage over gas with ethanol. It prevents condensation...and water from separating in the tank from gasoline. Gas engines run BEST on gas, not corn!

W
Would you run 89 octane ethanol-free fuel in your bike, OR 93 octane with ethanol? Those are the choices available in my area. We used to have a station that sold 93 without ethanol, but they no longer offer that. I guess I could get the 89 ethanol free and just add some octane booster to every tank...
Wow. Is this in US? The suggested fuel is 97/98 octane in uk, I never gone below that

Per BMW recommended fuel qualities, 91 (Max 15% ethanol), 89 AKI (95 RON), 90AKI

So per BMW your 89 ethanol free falls into the recommended fuel quality. 93 would be over recommended, but depending on your location and ride type, would be okay (assuming it has less than 15% ethanol). The higher octane just makes it more difficult to combust. So if you live in a high heat area or ride in stop and go (i.e higher likelihood for detonation) then the 93 would be fine. but otherwise I would jsut run the 89.

Per BMW recommended fuel qualities, 91 (Max 15% ethanol), 89 AKI (95 RON), 90AKI

So per BMW your 89 ethanol free falls into the recommended fuel quality. 93 would be over recommended, but depending on your location and ride type, would be okay (assuming it has less than 15% ethanol). The higher octane just makes it more difficult to combust. So if you live in a high heat area or ride in stop and go (i.e higher likelihood for detonation) then the 93 would be fine. but otherwise I would jsut run the 89.
I live in an area in where temps can vary wildly. I have tried 87-93 octane. The bike REALLY likes 93 octane fuel, anything less and the power wavers some, and if you get below 90 octane it begins to ping. It's an expensive, touchy *itch to feed! It runs best on ethanol free fuel...

I personally use the best fuel I can afford and I have been been a fan of Shell for a number of years. In the UK sadly there is ethanol everywhere now since a couple of years back and the minimum is 5% or E5 as they call it and Shell sells it under VPower Ron 98. Standard fuel is Ron 95 (E10)

Back