Handlebar Mounted Clock and Thermometers

Slotheadslim

My BMW F800ST had a clock and thermometer in the dash which I miss on the R18. While I know the R18 has a clock, I wish it were always visible regardless of the display settings. The thermometer in the R18 is for the engine temperature but not for outside air temperature. My interest in the outside air temperature is to know if I'm riding in black ice conditions when the temperature dips.

It seems like handlebar mounted thermometers heat up in the sun and often give an inaccurate temperature unless you've been riding for a while. Also they aren't quick to change temperature readings because usually they are oil filled, not digital and not using an external sensor. I've seen a lot of complaints about handlebard mounted thermometers them so I'm thinking it's not worth it and I'll skip it.

I usually look at my wristwatch for the time but it isn't a good idea to be taking your eyes off the road. Having a good clock mounted on the bars or near the clutch controls would be nice. I've looked at a bunch and the ones I found interesting were from Marlin https://www.marlinsclocks.com/Shop-All-Clocks_c_142.html which seem to be very popular and from Formotion https://www.formotionproducts.com/shop which supplies OEM clocks and thermometers to Harley Davidson, Triumph and others.

I'm considering this clock mounted near the clutch https://www.marlinsclocks.com/Marli...LASSIC-Black-and-Silver-Clock-Face_p_198.html . The clock face seems to be a good match to the R18 control face. It takes a 1/4" or 5mm thread. Has anybody installed one of these or know the size of the bolts near the clutch?

Thanks,

Tom

I like it. Who makes it? The diameter looks reasonable too so that it doesn’t cover up the main dial.

I received my Marlin horseshoe style handlebar clock and installed it today. It went on fairly easily. In the center of our handlebars is a bar that partially blocks where you’d tighter the lower screw. I turned the clock base on the bars so the bottom screen was up, put on blue locktite, tightened it reasonably, turned the base right side up, added locktite to the top screw and tightened it up. It seems fairly solid. Not cheap but supposedly shock and water resistant.

Tom

C4441C35-D908-4928-A5A9-FF757CB4669F.jpegB337CDCB-8C5C-42F8-8C23-A754DDD7E224.jpegB097F7F0-0BF0-436E-BA71-D7FAD15F3C14.jpeg3A1F94F5-F730-4DAB-828A-3822B0EA0B61.jpegD1D55CB6-D573-4000-9182-6F78244E3767.jpeg

I received my Marlin horseshoe style handlebar clock and installed it today. It went on fairly easily. In the center of our handlebars is a bar that partially blocks where you’d tighter the lower screw. I turned the clock base on the bars so the bottom screen was up, put on blue locktite, tightened it reasonably, turned the base right side up, added locktite to the top screw and tightened it up. It seems fairly solid. Not cheap but supposedly shock and water resistant.

Tom

View attachment 2756View attachment 2757View attachment 2758View attachment 2759View attachment 2760
Totally works, well done

Back