Headlamp recall related or? R18B

fleabag

I noticed that I could see the headlamp beam jiggling on reflective surfaces while riding and discovered that the headlight housing was physically loose. I usually don’t ride at night, but also noticed that my high-beam throw is too high. I added this concern to my annual service next week. I’ll be interested in what they say about it.

YouTube link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cypARd8onivxzD6lCsAR4dlK_H12SI7K/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
I haven't tried testing my headlight for movement and or looseness; however, it has always felt tight and well fitting when wiping down the headlight from bugs and such - meaning, I didn't notice any movement as shown in your video.

My headlight was replaced under warranty for the recall issue; I did notice that the BMW shop failed to install three screws under the fairing, while I was taking a second attempt of figuring out the mode switch to activate my auxiliary lights. Anyways... Maybe you have missing screws.. we all know you have a lose screw...

I haven't tried testing my headlight for movement and or looseness; however, it has always felt tight and well fitting when wiping down the headlight from bugs and such - meaning, I didn't notice any movement as shown in your video.

My headlight was replaced under warranty for the recall issue; I did notice that the BMW shop failed to install three screws under the fairing, while I was taking a second attempt of figuring out the mode switch to activate my auxiliary lights. Anyways... Maybe you have missing screws.. we all know you have a lose screw...
Did you figure out the mode switch? The aux lights are one of the upgrades I want to do but I was never clear on how to hook up the mode switch.

Did you figure out the mode switch? The aux lights are one of the upgrades I want to do but I was never clear on how to hook up the mode switch.
No hookup on the mode switch it just works as is for baggers the pre-wired cable is under the clutch side of front fairing near bottom of headlight, under tank for other modelsIMG_3073.jpeg

Dude, thanks. Are you able to list the parts you used? If not, I’m capable of searching 🙃

@Scott Semone - So Scott, if this is the case, why wouldn’t your mode switch work?

I have no idea, I took my entire fairing apart over the Christmas break and located the existing wiring; I see 12V when the bike first starts up, then the circuit switches off. If I try toggling the Mode Switch, I don't see a change in state (12V); I can only think that perhaps Robs bike is programmed differently than my 2022 FE B model?

I reassembled the fairing and decided that I'm extremely happy with the push switch that I installed within the existing 12V DC power socket; it basically looks OEM in my opinion.

So in short, I have no -$#@ clue why it isn't working... 😵‍💫

I have no idea, I took my entire fairing apart over the Christmas break and located the existing wiring; I see 12V when the bike first starts up, then the circuit switches off. If I try toggling the Mode Switch, I don't see a change in state (12V); I can only think that perhaps Robs bike is programmed differently than my 2022 FE B model?

I reassembled the fairing and decided that I'm extremely happy with the push switch that I installed within the existing 12V DC power socket; it basically looks OEM in my opinion.

Ugh.

Scott, I think you had the correct wiring, as you stated you got a 12v signal for a min and it cut out. Seems like you just turned on the power switch. I get the same thing on mine if I turn on the power. I have to actually start the bike and let it run before I get a continuous signal from the lead.

The clip circled in Red holds the wire for the aux lights and you have a clip circled in blue on each side of the headlight for the signals. In the pic I had already removed the connectors, so only clips are shown in my pic
UnderFaringIMG_3069.jpg

Scott, I think you had the correct wiring, as you stated you got a 12v signal for a min and it cut out. Seems like you just turned on the power switch. I get the same thing on mine if I turn on the power. I have to actually start the bike and let it run before I get a continuous signal from the lead.

I tested it with the bike turned ON, as well as when the bike was running; how long would you estimate the engine needs to be running before you have functionality with the mode switch?

I had the engine running for a couple of minutes (2 to 4 minutes), with no functionality from the Mode Switch.

Back