Hello from Melbourne, Australia

JDoc12

Premium Member
Site Supporter
Hi all, John from Melbourne, Australia here, am 62, part-time retired from 32 years with Toyota Manufacturing, as an Engineering Manager (now that Manufacturing of cars in Australia is now defunct).
Been riding my whole life from dirt bikes in my early teens, through to Japanese 2-strokes, 4's, Ducati's, Harleys and now on an R18B. Option719 Galaxy Dust version, which was my best bike decision ever, once acclimatized to its size, a few ergo tweaks (gear lever extension, etc).
I have been riding more since trading in my Harley Fatbob (which I turned into a near drag bike - exciting yes, comfortable, no) as the BM suits my later years body condition (a few limb injuries here & there) and it's uniqueness and dynamic competence makes for a very enjoyable ride.
I can understand the affection that develops for these bikes now !

Attachments

• BM R18b JD.jpg
    BM R18b JD.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Welcome to the forum. Your galaxy dust model has the best optics. I'm 65 and recently got a first edition R18TC. Went on a 115 mile ride today. I like the low rpm nature of this bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome John! There's definitely something to be said for having the right bike at the right period of your riding life. Looks fantastic.

Thanks ! And very true, it's funny how your tastes chenge - in my 20's and 30's it was about sportbikes and mountain 'carving', didn't like the look of Harleys and Touring bikes, then into my 50's it was about Harleys and monster torque mods, now I prefer the look of the big tourers and enjoy the comfort over longer distances.
Re, the R18B I have the bug now about the small mods that add to the quality so am keen to learn from this forum about what's out there.

Welcome to the forum. Your galaxy dust model has the best optics. I'm 65 and recently got a first edition R18TC. Went on a 115 mile ride today. I like the low rpm nature of this bike.
Yes, that 2 to 3000rpm range is smooooth. Now thinking of the Brentune - sounds like it smooths things out higher in the range, as well as a torque & throttle response increase - quite a members here recommend it - very tempting !

Yes, that 2 to 3000rpm range is smooooth. Now thinking of the Brentune - sounds like it smooths things out higher in the range, as well as a torque & throttle response increase - quite a members here recommend it - very tempting !
Keep stretching her legs and keep in mind the upper RPM range will also smooth as she breaks in and this takes a few thousand miles to take place. Not going outside the 2-3 Ks range is leaving much on the table especially when enjoying spirited riding on "made for motorcycles" roads or passing maneuvers, etc.

Enjoy her, this is a very good motorcycle to ride and not just a pretty face.

Good point - I have noticed now at 1800km travelled it is loosening up a bit and seems a bit more eager above in the 3 to 4000 rpm range.

Back