HI! How to check if a bike is not stolen?

If they own it they will have registration and/or Title showing Lien, Owner and VIN, etc. What makes you feel it is possibly stolen?

The new owner never registered, and the tile is still on the original owner's name, signed.
That is not uncommon and it's not transferring ownership "by the Book". I've seen individuals as well as "dealers" do this to keep them "off the books" as to MVD fees, insurance and claiming $$ from a sale, etc.

Bottom line, a clear signed title (lien free and/or new one recorded} in most states is all one needs to surrender to their state (along with possibly an inspection and proof of insurance} to have a new Title and Registration issued in the new owner/your name.

Random thoughts, if still worried see if you can contact the original owner as their information is on the paperwork, contact your dealer to run the VIN and they may be able to fill in some history too and lastly check with your neighborhood police, sheriff or Trooper (depending where you live) to see if they have any advice or maybe could check the VIN for you (some system restrictions on them so not sure what they can do). Lastly, take photos of seller, his license and of him with the bike. All that said, I likely would have already walked if I was feeling uncomfortable about a deal that is too good to be true.

Best of luck.

Back