Hot starting issue

My R18TC has not had any hot starting issues but sometimes the R1200c did. I could overcome it by putting bike in 2nd gear, release clutch, then push forward until engine turned over one time.

My bike went in for some warranty work recently, dealer is 1 1/2hrs away, a good decent ride through peak hour traffic.

Got to the dealership to find they had relocated, ok, jumped back on, hit start.. fumble and die, lightbulb warning came up on dash.

After 3-4 attempts got it going.

Got to dealership, mentioned the bike wouldn’t start, they came out and luckily it did it again “oh it’s a battery issue, must have dropped a cell”.

They tested and the battery was fine. And no faults recorded.

Just got back from a fast blast on the freeway for 40 mins, stopped for gas, start, misfire, stumble and started.

Any thoughts?
First, thank you for all the great informatiin on this forum. This is my first post. I am having the same issue with my R18 FE, 5k miles. It is staring to happen regularly now. Dealer flashed the ECU late last year but didn't seem to help. Dealers comment to me was they couldn't find anything and if I brought it back with no codes, they would charge me to diagnose. Suggested I provide a video next time. I'm taking it in for the 6k service next week, hopefully they will ride it 30 miles or so and be able to see the problem and resolve it.

First, thank you for all the great informatiin on this forum. This is my first post. I am having the same issue with my R18 FE, 5k miles. It is staring to happen regularly now. Dealer flashed the ECU late last year but didn't seem to help. Dealers comment to me was they couldn't find anything and if I brought it back with no codes, they would charge me to diagnose. Suggested I provide a video next time. I'm taking it in for the 6k service next week, hopefully they will ride it 30 miles or so and be able to see the problem and resolve it.

Sounds like your dealer is an ass IMO and wouldn't/couldn't be bothered to take an extended ride in an attempt to pinpoint the cause(s) of the problem.

As it has become a repeatable problem I would take some rides with the specific purpose and while prepared to be able to video her having the problem. I can't imagine my shop saying "we guessed wrong so phuck you on getting free help with an intermittent problem". Electrical issues are not unique to any Brand and certainly not BMW and they get paid to do warranty work which this type of problem is certainly covered under. Throwing an ECU flash is perhaps a "most likely" culprit that's right up there with a loose connection or odd premature failure of a battery or switch, etc., BUT trouble shooting can only be done in a methodical fashion especially when the computer hasn't done the work for them (storing the fault) where they then are simply "part changers" and not "mechanics". This just pisses me off in general when I read stuff like this so hopefully I'm reading into your comment, but because They didn't correct the issue They haven't finished troubleshooting components to figure out what to repair and that is on Them, not You. By the way a very handy tool is a GS911 (or similar) that will read codes and help in various servicing tasks. There are threads on this and all other BMW forums as well as great videos on line that you could check out. You can easily check your bike and store/print out copies of "all the above" to save for general history and recorded proof to show the shop if you have any dispute.

Good luck.

Wow, that's an amazing response, thank you. I have decided to take it to a shop in Ormond that's willing to look at it and perform the 6k sevice. I'll work to get some meaningful video in the interim as well. While doing a club ride others in my club have witnessed the failure and are willing to help get the videos. I'll update after my visit South.

Sounds like your dealer is an ass IMO and wouldn't/couldn't be bothered to take an extended ride in an attempt to pinpoint the cause(s) of the problem.

As it has become a repeatable problem I would take some rides with the specific purpose and while prepared to be able to video her having the problem. I can't imagine my shop saying "we guessed wrong so phuck you on getting free help with an intermittent problem". Electrical issues are not unique to any Brand and certainly not BMW and they get paid to do warranty work which this type of problem is certainly covered under. Throwing an ECU flash is perhaps a "most likely" culprit that's right up there with a loose connection or odd premature failure of a battery or switch, etc., BUT trouble shooting can only be done in a methodical fashion especially when the computer hasn't done the work for them (storing the fault) where they then are simply "part changers" and not "mechanics". This just pisses me off in general when I read stuff like this so hopefully I'm reading into your comment, but because They didn't correct the issue They haven't finished troubleshooting components to figure out what to repair and that is on Them, not You. By the way a very handy tool is a GS911 (or similar) that will read codes and help in various servicing tasks. There are threads on this and all other BMW forums as well as great videos on line that you could check out. You can easily check your bike and store/print out copies of "all the above" to save for general history and recorded proof to show the shop if you have any dispute.

Good luck.
Check your state's lemon laws. You would be amazed what a $100 letter from an attorney does, especially if you have it documented, etc., etc.

Just had this same issue today for the first time. First day over 70 degrees here, took the bike out for a quick romp before the rain comes, ended up in some traffic (got good and toasty), had to make 2 quick consecutive stops shortly thereafter. 1st stop, come out, hit start, starts but kinda almost dies then rough idles for 5 seconds (almost like if it were a big lopey cam). 2nd stop, come out, hit start, starts, idles for 2 seconds, dies. hit start, turns over, dies. repeat x3. let it sit a sec, hit start, twist throttle once it fires, let it rev out for a sec, let off throttle, idles normal. Im at 5,870 mi so was planing to call the dealer tomorrow to schedule my 6k.

Ive seen a few people in this thread say battery, and a few say fuel. this happened with 1/4 tank left so I doubt that if it were bad fuel it would just start acting up 3/4 of the way through the tank, but have any of the battery folks had this happen again after the battery swap? JW what direction I should 'coach' my dealer towards on this.

Just had this same issue today for the first time. First day over 70 degrees here, took the bike out for a quick romp before the rain comes, ended up in some traffic (got good and toasty), had to make 2 quick consecutive stops shortly thereafter. 1st stop, come out, hit start, starts but kinda almost dies then rough idles for 5 seconds (almost like if it were a big lopey cam). 2nd stop, come out, hit start, starts, idles for 2 seconds, dies. hit start, turns over, dies. repeat x3. let it sit a sec, hit start, twist throttle once it fires, let it rev out for a sec, let off throttle, idles normal. Im at 5,870 mi so was planing to call the dealer tomorrow to schedule my 6k.

Ive seen a few people in this thread say battery, and a few say fuel. this happened with 1/4 tank left so I doubt that if it were bad fuel it would just start acting up 3/4 of the way through the tank, but have any of the battery folks had this happen again after the battery swap? JW what direction I should 'coach' my dealer towards on this.
Different folks here may be having different issues, but the two times it happened to me it was definitely not fuel and definitely not battery. I never had the thing start and die...it just wouldn't start after driving for a while followed by a short stop. In my case at least, time (about 15 minutes) seemed to be the cure. I'm attributing it to some software issue or other, but it's hard to know. I haven't heard a definitive answer. In any case, while it's easy to just say "fuel" or "battery" as an easy suggestion, in my case at least (and I'm betting others with this issue), it has nothing to do with that. In both cases for what it's worth (maybe nothing) it was spring time at the first warm part of the season. Maybe the thing has memory and is setting the mixture wonky.

I experienced this same issue yesterday for the first time. It was an 85° day, I made a stop, the TC sat for about 10 minutes and stalled multiple times at startup. I gave it some throttle and kept it in the 1500 range. It continued to idle rough for a another 5-10 seconds.

I rode another 50 miles without issue, although I noticed a strong gasoline odor when I returned home.

My 2022 T/C is running S/W 012_008_040.

Additionally, I noticed after the ride that the ride tracking was disrupted at this same time. I don't know if they are connected, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Back