Long Hot Road Trip

So planning a 2600 mile August 24 road trip from Daytona FL (me) to Boston (family) and back. 10 days. August for this ride isn't my timing...family event. Any thoughts on how a 2021 R18 1st Edition will hold up with 10 days of 300-400 miles each in blistering heat and humidity - mainly highway? Gonna kill it? End up overheating? Anyone do anything like this? Again, yeah, I know - stupid time of year. But any excuse for a road trip.

So planning a 2600 mile August 24 road trip from Daytona FL (me) to Boston (family) and back. 10 days. August for this ride isn't my timing...family event. Any thoughts on how a 2021 R18 1st Edition will hold up with 10 days of 300-400 miles each in blistering heat and humidity - mainly highway? Gonna kill it? End up overheating? Anyone do anything like this? Again, yeah, I know - stupid time of year. But any excuse for a road trip.
The bike will be fine. The rider, on the other hand.... 😁

I did 4k on my TC in Aug-Sep 2023, from western Pennsylvania to the eastern-most town in Maine. No problems at all. I think your biggest issue will be avoiding I-95 and the coastal megalopolis, if possible. Thwy are good alternate routes but they may add at least a day each way.

Ride report on here. https://www.r18forums.com/threads/pennsylvania-to-new-england-aug-sep-2023.2494/

The bike will be fine. The rider, on the other hand.... 😁

I did 4k on my TC in Aug-Sep 2023, from western Pennsylvania to the eastern-most town in Maine. No problems at all. I think your biggest issue will be avoiding I-95 and the coastal megalopolis, if possible. Thwy are good alternate routes but they may add at least a day each way.

Ride report on here. https://www.r18forums.com/threads/pennsylvania-to-new-england-aug-sep-2023.2494/
Thanks! Yeah I know it’s gonna be brutal on me…oddly I never worry about that :) just the bike! I have flexibility and grew up in the NE so yeah gotta avoid the tri-state chunk of 95!

Ditto on being focused the the equipment. I can tell when I need some 'preventive or corrective maintenance', but sometimes the equipment only let's you know catastrophically.
Should be a great ride. I looped north, up around Albany NY, then cut east. That may be too far out of your way for your timeline, but is was great riding country. I'm looking to do that ride again some year.

Ditto on being focused the the equipment. I can tell when I need some 'preventive or corrective maintenance', but sometimes the equipment only let's you know catastrophically.
Should be a great ride. I looped north, up around Albany NY, then cut east. That may be too far out of your way for your timeline, but is was great riding country. I'm looking to do that ride again some year.
This will be an epic for me - Florida to Cape Cod/I95 in the height of summer. See the folks on the Cape for a few days then back to FL...I'll be lucky if my body doesnt have the catastropic failure! Been living in the Northeast last few years and concur - spring/summer/fall it offers the BEST riding. Moving to Florida and giving up S curves and interesting "round the bend" experiences to get a longer riding season!

All the R18s in Scotland would love a crack at that all our bikes are hibernating under their covers hiding from the rock salt 😔

All the R18s in Scotland would love a crack at that all our bikes are hibernating under their covers hiding from the rock salt 😔
Same here in Pennsylvania. As soon as the salt goes on the road, the bike goes in the garage and stays there until spring rains wash away the salt residue.
Used to live in central coastal California. The riding was year-round with great riding routes. It's one of the 3 things (yes, only 3) I miss about living there.

We're planning on moving to the 6th boro of NYC (Florida); I'll miss the winding roads of NJ / NY. I do see myself exploring the coastal communities of Florida's forgotten coast on the bike, providing I haven't sold the R18 towards the purchase of a skiff for chasing Reds and Tarpon.

We're planning on moving to the 6th boro of NYC (Florida); I'll miss the winding roads of NJ / NY. I do see myself exploring the coastal communities of Florida's forgotten coast on the bike, providing I haven't sold the R18 towards the purchase of a skiff for chasing Reds and Tarpon.
Seriously tough choice there!

Back