Maybe I'm blind, but can someone explain what the difference is between the BMW and MOPAR GL-5 differential fluids?

MOBIL 1 LS 75-90 says it meets the GL5 spec.
I did not want to be that guy and don't want to send a message to argue or shame.
Any GL5 spec is just that.GL5
BMW lists 70w80 G3.The G3 is misleading as it is a GL5 spec gear oil.
The only place other than BMW to get the a 70w80 GL5 is the Jeep dealer. They have 70w80 GL5 which is used in Jeep 4x4s and is under the MoPar label.
MoPar=Appx $12 a pint or $24 a qt.
The transmission on the R18 probablly can handle the 75w90 though I would stick with the 70w80 in the final drive.
Lets face it.BMW wants you tied to there service intervals and to use their parts.
Here is a bummer.You can't buy spark plugs anywhere but from BMW.
I contacted NGK and was told dealer only pruchase.Iridium plugs are suppose to be superior and last longer yet BNW wants them change every 10,000.Over $100 for 4 plugs
I bought a 4 pack of NGK Iridium plugs for my Indian $35
Back on topic.I also called Mobile 1 and they said they do not carry the spec gear oil for the R18s.
Sticking with the MoPar lube would at least keep BMW happy while under warranty.
Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too!
Try to trade or sell your R18 if you want to get a real shock.With all the rebates,4/$250 monthly payments and 0% financing these bikes really take a hit on their value.
I see used Indians and HDs bringing numbers close to new bike prices.The savings from a new purchase is the $2000(plus) dealer fees.
I thought about selling my sidecar rig and was offered $15,000.

I’m less concerned about resale because I got a killer deal on the bike and generally keep my bikes 10 years on average.
My issues are with the lack of a service manual which would have had me pass on the bike if I had known. Plus BMW’s inability to produce accessories in any kind of timely manner is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Me too!
Try to trade or sell your R18 if you want to get a real shock.With all the rebates,4/$250 monthly payments and 0% financing these bikes really take a hit on their value.
I see used Indians and HDs bringing numbers close to new bike prices.The savings from a new purchase is the $2000(plus) dealer fees.
About six month ago I tried to trade in my 2021 R18FE back to the same dealership I bought it from in October of 2021.
It was a demo bike with 273 miles and I paid right around 15K for it. The cast wheels I purchased separately, because I couldn't deal with having inner tubes, set me back an additional 2K (that was at dealer's cost)
I was offered 10K in trade, with a straight face, devoid of any facial expression at all, as if that was the most natural thing ever. And that was the manager/owner I've known for over twenty years! Same dealership I've bought at least five or six bikes from.
It's either very funny or very sad that I still have any expectation of fairness at my age. I'm soon to be 64.
I consider myself to be the best business partner to anybody, because I always buy high and always sell low. The nature of a dreamer/fool!

About six month ago I tried to trade in my 2021 R18FE back to the same dealership I bought it from in October of 2021.
It was a demo bike with 273 miles and I paid right around 15K for it. The cast wheels I purchased separately, because I couldn't deal with having inner tubes, set me back an additional 2K (that was at dealer's cost)
I was offered 10K in trade, with a straight face, devoid of any facial expression at all, as if that was the most natural thing ever. And that was the manager/owner I've known for over twenty years! Same dealership I've bought at least five or six bikes from.
It's either very funny or very sad that I still have any expectation of fairness at my age. I'm soon to be 64.
I consider myself to be the best business partner to anybody, because I always buy high and always sell low. The nature of a dreamer/fool!
I can definitely relate...

Me too!
Here in the UK HD have always had good residuals, Indian nowhere near. BMW and Triumph generally do ok but the R18 hasn’t been great, the 0% promotion here only lasted a month from memory but contributions were increased later with a lower interest rate.
HD residuals will continue to be good here and I assume across the globe given how much they seem to increase the price of a new bike each year. For example, a black 2018 Street Glide Special here was £21,995 at RRP. A 2023 black bike with the same blacked out finish is £28,995 which is aiding used prices on older models.

We didn't buy our R18B for resale, we bought because of Class ! This is my last new bike , getting old ! Anyone and everyone owns a Harley , be a biker for 5 grand . Hell , we own a half dozen of the critters right now including a 103 Pan , own two Big Inch engine Yamaha Roadstars also , One with a 2000 CC Orient Express Kit , that Harley guys hate .

I need to know where you bought the Moto Floorboards ?

Sounds like Brownmotorworks in Pomona.

We didn't buy our R18B for resale, we bought because of Class ! This is my last new bike , getting old ! Anyone and everyone owns a Harley , be a biker for 5 grand . Hell , we own a half dozen of the critters right now including a 103 Pan , own two Big Inch engine Yamaha Roadstars also , One with a 2000 CC Orient Express Kit , that Harley guys hate .

I need to know where you bought the Moto Floorboards ?
I am with you Lee . I wanted a bike other than a Harley .. already got one of them ... that will outlive me ... 100 000 mile motor before rebuilt (or more) ... didn't buy it with any resale even crossing my distant horizon.

Today I inquired again at my local dealership about the trade in value of my 2021 FE
14k, Russell Day Long seat, Wunderlich rear pillion rack, BMW Saddle Bags with mounts, and two sets of rims.
The original spoked rims that I had no idea were not tubeless, and a set of BMW cast rims that set me back about $2,600 plus mounting.
This time I was thinking about maybe acquiring a 2022 TC that's been sitting on the showroom floor forever.
That bike is priced at 20,999 but nobody wants it.
I am the type that's always looking for a new ride, regardless of the current bike I own.
That explains the 42 bikes I've gone though in the last 20+ years alone.
Anyway, I was offered $6,000 with a smile, a doughnut and a cup of water!

Back