mpg booster

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

I generally ride in "ROCK" mode 24-7, but discovered that switching to "RAIN" mode once I get up to highway speed provides a 2 mpg increase. Another advantage of "RAIN" mode is the bike can climb to slightly higher rpms without undo vibration.

Good point if running low on gas. Wonder if anyone takes one of those, small designed to store gas, bottles with them. See them on gsa bikes from time to time. Oops, never mind…you got the larger tank on the TC model.

Honestly, I've JUST hit my 600 mile service (640 miles actually) and I've avoided the ROCK mode like the plague.

I wanna break Alcina in nice and smooth...;) Her jugs are too fine to ruin on the initial 600.

Mike

I rode on 'roll' mode for the first 1000 miles on my R18 FE Base, then started to ease into using rock, glad i got used to roll because it made the transition to rock startling, really made it an awesome experience, then before long, was riding in rock all the time. Although, I always start the engine in roll mode, then stay in roll until i've trolled out of the neighborhood, then it's rock until i come home. When arriving back as base I change to roll for last few mins as i get into garage, then kill it with kickstand down every time, then power off. On the TC it's 'rock' all day long from day one. :D

I did the same 370~ mile ride twice on my R18 Base, once in roll the whole way, and once in rock.
I got 41 mpg in roll, and 45 mpg in rock, no cruise control on the bike.
Interesting getting better mileage in rock, but no cruise control so probably not really a great comparison.

I can understand you guys who treat the bike with some sensitivity. It is a piece of art. Last night I went for another cruise and was impressed again with the ride and the mind blowing tech on this machine

I generally ride in "ROCK" mode 24-7, but discovered that switching to "RAIN" mode once I get up to highway speed provides a 2 mpg increase. Another advantage of "RAIN" mode is the bike can climb to slightly higher rpms without undo vibration
You said two miles per gallon increase? Hooray, hooray! Now I know the secret of going halfway around the world on one tank of gas.

I generally ride in "ROCK" mode 24-7, but discovered that switching to "RAIN" mode once I get up to highway speed provides a 2 mpg increase. Another advantage of "RAIN" mode is the bike can climb to slightly higher rpms without undo vibration.
So let’s see if I have this right.

With rough numbers, if you ride full time, which will be an average of 10k per year, like it’s a boring station wagon in rain mode, that will save you roughly $4 per month. And that’s a discovery worth posting to other R18 enthusiast that bought the biggest boxer engine ever made?

Not sure what reviews you read, or what your test drive was like, but Isnt complaining about vibrations on the R18 a bit like jumping in the lake and complaining because you are wet?

I think I need to step away from the group for a few weeks.

Last edited:
So let’s see if I have this right.

With rough numbers, if you ride full time, which will be an average of 10k per year, like it’s a boring station wagon in rain mode, that will save you roughly $4 per month. And that’s a discovery worth posting to other R18 enthusiast that bought the biggest boxer engine ever made?

Not sure what reviews you read, or what your test drive was like, but Isnt complaining about vibrations on the R18 a bit like jumping in the lake and complaining because you are wet?

I think I need to step away from the group for a few weeks.
Does it seem to you that I am complaining about my R18B?

Does it seem to you that I am complaining about my R18B?
Nah. You are one of the happier dudes here! Maybe I was just getting a bit grumpy….

The vibes of the bike are so funny mostly because they have added them completely on purpose. I mean, whoda ever thunk about adding ride modes that deliberately add and reduce vibrations. They must of had a blast with that in the brainstorming session when it first came up 😆 .

The bike, especially the naked FE went out of its way to hit every stereotype of the American cruiser it could legally.

Back