New bike-less member

I have not ridden my r18 base enough to say other then it has a sweet rpm zone range of if you stay in that mostly it is glass smooth if my recall. Don’t know, maybe 2k to 3,500…

Some questions I have about the B/TC First Edition model year(s?):

* Were they manufactured for 1 model year only?

> If so, which year was that? I've read "Model year" 2021 and 2022, but also "Manufactured" 2021 and 2022.
My observations for the First Editions release dates/model years:

The First Edition Base and Classic were released late 2020, as model year 2021.
I have a 2021 FE Base and got it from my local MAXBMW as soon as it was available in late October 2020. It's got about 8k miles now and better than ever.

The First Edition B and TC were released late 2021, as model year 2022.
I have a 2022 FE TC and got it from my local MAXBMW as soon as it was available in late October 2021, it's got about 10k miles now and is incredible.

This is only from my observations, but line up with my experience, hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
This is only from my observations, but line up with my experience, hope this is helpful.
Yes really helpful! And it confirms what I suspected, that 2022 is the only model year for First Edition B and TC. I also assume that production has stopped so there will be no 2023 model.

But I guess that doesn't mean that e.g. all FE Bagger are identical - I think they can and will still make bug corrections etc during the production year.

What does that translate into
I'm not a rich guy, but this time I actually have the money and I'll probably just pay to have peace of mind. I hate loans and financial planning - perhaps why I'm not a rich guy... 😂

I didn't know about the ground clearance, good to know. I think all the features steer me towards the B or TC. I'm a little afraid that if I buy the B, I'm gonna miss the extra wind protection on the TC. Well one can add that later albeit at a much greater cost I would assume.

If getting a used B or TC, can I just assume that the earlier FE's are identical to the later FE's? Or were there any recalls or additions during that relatively short period?
First Edition is just an option package that was available on the first model year of each variant (Pure, Classic, B, Transcontinental). There are first model year units of each model that don’t have the First Edition package.

If you like a fairing and worry about possibly wanting the extra wind protection of the Transcontinental, I’d say go for it. It will be much cheaper than adding everything to a B. You can remove the top case if you prefer running lighter like the B. The downside of all the wind protection is in hot weather as you get little airflow. Although I test rode all variants before I bought mine, I went with the convertible nature of the Classic. The fairing bikes were just too hot and no option to remove the fairing in 30 seconds like I can with the windshield on my Classic.

There are first model year units of each model that don’t have the First Edition package.
I didn't know that. But I guess most units were sold with the FE package when it was available.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Classic and taking the windshield on and off depending on weather. And the naked R18's look absolutely stunning. But then I think I will appreciate the extra wind protection on B/TC for longer trips and that fairing is a piece of art compared to the ugly, bulky fairings on other cruisers. Decisions... But I think the added features and comfort of B/TC will be what wins me over in the end.

My favorite option would be if the fairing could be removed in 30 seconds like a windshield, but that will be in my dreams and never materialized of course...

I didn't know that. But I guess most units were sold with the FE package when it was available.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Classic and taking the windshield on and off depending on weather. And the naked R18's look absolutely stunning. But then I think I will appreciate the extra wind protection on B/TC for longer trips and that fairing is a piece of art compared to the ugly, bulky fairings on other cruisers. Decisions... But I think the added features and comfort of B/TC will be what wins me over in the end.

My favorite option would be if the fairing could be removed in 30 seconds like a windshield, but that will be in my dreams and never materialized of course...

I only have the windshield on my Classic during the winter and early spring & late fall. It’s great now, I did a ride last week where it was 26F when I left my house & I was fine behind the windshield.

In the summer, it’s a naked R18. The airflow at highway speeds is nice and smooth & plenty of airflow so it’s not as hot. In the northeast this past summer was really bad with mid 90s and humid for a lot of the summer. I hardly rode my GSA at all since it has essentially a fairing with all the wind protection on it. I did more miles on my naked bikes including the stripped down Classic. In fact in the past 12 months, I’ve done 1000 miles more on my Classic than my GSA & I ride year round unless there is snow on the roads.

But in the winter, the GSA with the huge wind protection is great. With the hand guards, it helps protect more against the cold than the Classic. I also add a big screen to the Vespa alongside a skirt, so winter isn’t an issue. The B&TC will be more like the GSA….. great in the winter, good in reasonable temp summers, but horrible in excessive hot days.

What are you riding now? That might give you some insight into what will be the better bike for you.

I have no bike at the moment, sold my RT a couple of months ago. Fantastic bike. The weather protection was great, but too great on the hot days so I understand your points. Also I felt a bit disconnected from the road, like a "cockpit & plastic" feeling and wanted a more naked bike. The Rocket 3 first came to mind and then R18 Pure & Classic. But then I saw R18 B in real life and it had this beautiful fairing, which I think isn't as distracting as plastic feeling on the RT. So perhaps it will fit me - less protection than RT and the genuine cruiser-feeling. Downsides are it will be slower than the RT and still a bit hot in the summer.

I have no bike at the moment, sold my RT a couple of months ago. Fantastic bike. The weather protection was great, but too great on the hot days so I understand your points. Also I felt a bit disconnected from the road, like a "cockpit & plastic" feeling and wanted a more naked bike. The Rocket 3 first came to mind and then R18 Pure & Classic. But then I saw R18 B in real life and it had this beautiful fairing, which I think isn't as distracting as plastic feeling on the RT. So perhaps it will fit me - less protection than RT and the genuine cruiser-feeling. Downsides are it will be slower than the RT and still a bit hot in the summer.
I also considered the Rocket 3. I love that it is made, but agree the R18 line is visually more attractive. I’d suggest a test ride for you. Since you already have a frame of reference with the RT for wind protection and connection to the road, you’ll be able to see how different the R18B/TC feels. One big difference is my GSA and the RT are fixed fairing, while the B & TC are fork mounted. This can make the R18 fairing feel more dynamic and less of a static cockpit, but can also increase the weight you need to move to steer and wind effect. It’s hard to convey in text on an Internet forum…. You have to experience it for yourself. If you can do so with a demo truck event, you can test the Pure, Classic, B & TC back to back on the same route. I did that, so it was very easy to feel the difference between each variant & see which is best for you.

While the RT is lighter and has more HP than the R18, the R18 has more torque and is surprisingly agile. I normally ride mine in twisties 20-30MPH over the limit & it’s great, better than all other big cruisers I tested except the Rocket 3, while the Indian was the next closest. I still laugh out loud each time I crack the throttle on the R18, it feels like a big biplane engine and the character is so distinctive.

Hi, I signed up to the forum because I'm interested in the R18 B or TC, but I don't have one yet. I like the look of the First Edition, but I seem to have missed the train and need to buy a used one when an opportunity arises.

Some questions I have about the B/TC First Edition model year(s?):

* Were they manufactured for 1 model year only?

> If so, which year was that? I've read "Model year" 2021 and 2022, but also "Manufactured" 2021 and 2022.

> If not, were there any differences between the model years? Like exchanged parts, fixed bugs etc.

* When were they first available/delivered by dealers in Europe and America?

About the pin striping:

* Is the pin striping (and the "First Edition" emblems) the only thing that is unique to FE? Or does FE also have other unique styling or unique features not available in the standard version? (For example, I can't find the FE B/TC rims in the configurator - are they unavailable/discontinued now?)

* Apparently you can add pin striping when you order a new bike, but - if I understand correctly - only with a different pattern than FE?
BobW is correct below: if you are in the U.S., there are plenty of First Editions available nationwide. I picked mine up a month ago for about $13K in Louisville.

Back