New guy from Southern California

Rambler358

Hey folks - I currently ride a BMW Grand America, but will be selling it. It’s a nice bike except for the audio system and the main reason I’ll be selling it - the bike’s instability on the freeway. When I’m riding solo at freeway speeds the instability just gets too fatiguing for me after some time. No other bike I’ve had has been this bad.

Anyway, I’m seriously considering the R18 Transcontinental as its replacement, so I’m here to glean whatever information I can about it, and maybe make some friends along the way.

Welcome, I too had a K1600B and sold it for the same reason. Glad that bike is behind me it was a major disappointment for me.

Hey folks - I currently ride a BMW Grand America, but will be selling it. It’s a nice bike except for the audio system and the main reason I’ll be selling it - the bike’s instability on the freeway. When I’m riding solo at freeway speeds the instability just gets too fatiguing for me after some time. No other bike I’ve had has been this bad.

Anyway, I’m seriously considering the R18 Transcontinental as its replacement, so I’m here to glean whatever information I can about it, and maybe make some friends along the way.
Wellcome. Here is only one member with the R18T (I don't remember who). Maybe (just maybe) he could talk about your concerns. The only thing that I could say is: the R18FE isn't stable on the freeway if you compare with the GA. And the classic, with the Windshield, has a lot of issues about turbulence. My humble advice: test the R18T and then decide. Probably because of the weight is going to be more stable, probably because of the front fairing it will be no turbulence, probably if you are 185cm tall (or taller) is not for you... who knows. Any way: a bike is always a bike, you are not going to be (totally) disappointed.

Wellcome. Here is only one member with the R18T (I don't remember who). Maybe (just maybe) he could talk about your concerns. The only thing that I could say is: the R18FE isn't stable on the freeway if you compare with the GA. And the classic, with the Windshield, has a lot of issues about turbulence. My humble advice: test the R18T and then decide. Probably because of the weight is going to be more stable, probably because of the front fairing it will be no turbulence, probably if you are 185cm tall (or taller) is not for you... who knows. Any way: a bike is always a bike, you are not going to be (totally) disappointed.
Thanks. I did briefly test ride the TC for about 20 minutes, which included some freeway time and it was absolutely stable. BMW did make some changes to the chassis of the R18 B and TC models, and it's been reported to be completely stable at 75mph on the highway even with the hands off the bars! But I plan to do another extended test ride with some twisties thrown in, along with the wife on the back.

Back