No Adaptive Cruise Control on BMW Build a Bike Site

Michigan Tim

Elite Member
It is my understanding that due to chip shortages, the adaptive cruise control on the 18B and Transcontinental wouldn't be available on bikes being built now, but that it could be fitted after the fact once chips became more readily available. In playing around on the site last night, I see that ACC is no longer even showing as an option. I forget if it was part of the Premium Light Package or the Select Package, but it definitely had been in one of those packages. That feature is exclusive to BMW in the bagger wars, so I am surprised that they dropped it as a package option and wouldn't retro-fit any bike that was delivered without it, once chips become available, whenever that may be. (or perhaps too expensive to retro-fit or too much liability to claim that option then not deliver the bike with it?? The first units on showrooms floors definitely had the feature and the chips must have been secured for those units.

The differences between adaptative or not is not only a matter of chip.
The front stuff (radar, camera ...) has to be there too.
By the way I've used the regular CC I have on my bike for some hundreds miles now.
I don't feel it as useful as it is on a car.
May be because we don't have long straight roads like yours in the US.
On a bike you've got to stay vigilent all the time ans it's not a big deal to maintain the speed.
I reckon I've not tried the adaptative one on a bike, may be I'd feel more secure with it.
No question on a car, the ACC is a must!

The differences between adaptative or not is not only a matter of chip.
The front stuff (radar, camera ...) has to be there too.
By the way I've used the regular CC I have on my bike for some hundreds miles now.
I don't feel it as useful as it is on a car.
May be because we don't have long straight roads like yours in the US.
On a bike you've got to stay vigilent all the time ans it's not a big deal to maintain the speed.
I reckon I've not tried the adaptative one on a bike, may be I'd feel more secure with it.
No question on a car, the ACC is a must!
Agree. The radar unit has to be present as well. I was told that the newest delivered models would have all of the equipment, minus the chip and the chip could simply be added later once available. Looks like they aren’t even offering the option on their site now. Perhaps can still add the radar and other required equipment later, but seems far more inconvenient and costly. Just curious as that feature sets these bikes apart in the bagger class.

I just picked up my TC First Edition, and it has the ACC. My dealer reported that he has 2 other TCs waiting to be built in Germany but they won’t have the ACC. He also indicated that because of the chip shortage, BMW has changed their website packages to be without ACC because even BMW doesn’t have a hard date on when the chips will be available. I’m glad I got mine when I did.

Last edited:
Allo to all.

I have a TC bike with cruise,, but without the ACC.
Does anyone know if you can Install it after?
You can. My R18B did not come with ACC. I just finished installing all of the required parts to bring it up to speed with ACC. It's at dealer now being programmed. I'll keep you posted when I get bike back. All in all it cost me about 500/600 bucks if I remember correctly but dont hold me too that. I bought the kit a while ago and bought it with other parts.

Back