Oil change now; or oil change later?

My oil change kit from Sierra BMW showed up this week and I fully intended to change the oil on my 22 R18 (3,000 miles) but find myself questioning my logic. The bike had the initial break-in service @ 800 miles last August (dealership) and I intended to do my regular springtime oil change this week. The bike is kept in a well insulated, unheated building and this winter allowed for several rides of decent range. Maybe five weeks at most between rides, with two week-long bouts of brutal cold As the bike will go back to the dealership for 6000 mile service sometime this coming summer I ams considering letting the oil go till then. My old-school instincts are telling me to change the oil now! Any thoughts?

I do my oil changes at 5000 miles for peach of mind. Do it yourself at 5000. Modern synthetic motor oil is must more robust than the old fossil oil.

My oil change kit from Sierra BMW showed up this week and I fully intended to change the oil on my 22 R18 (3,000 miles) but find myself questioning my logic. The bike had the initial break-in service @ 800 miles last August (dealership) and I intended to do my regular springtime oil change this week. The bike is kept in a well insulated, unheated building and this winter allowed for several rides of decent range. Maybe five weeks at most between rides, with two week-long bouts of brutal cold As the bike will go back to the dealership for 6000 mile service sometime this coming summer I ams considering letting the oil go till then. My old-school instincts are telling me to change the oil now! Any thoughts?
Change it now mate if nothing else you'll feel good I do my oil at 3000mile intervals did this all my motorbiking life never had any engine problems 😀

I would change at 3,000.

7 Positive Reasons: Little more frequent Oil changes are (1) cheap insurance and more important...(2) peace of mind and (3) personal satisfaction ! Much like (4) washing and waxing your vehicle and (5) afterwards sitting with (6) a cold beer (7) just looking at your R18 artwork!

My annual service was 2 months out and my bike had clocked over 5,000km.... I change the oil anyhow.... and will probally just push the annual service an extra month or two out... so a 14 month annual service. I did not bother with the filter though...

Back