Protective film on tank

motoring

Is anyone putting protective film or pads on top of their tank? I don’t know how thin the paint is now days on BMW motorcycles due to paint process they do now days. I picked this up used from a forum member and trying to sort out if I need to protect the paint if I put it on it.

Attachments

• 8C1EADDD-D66F-4952-B50F-8F81324C3365.jpeg
    8C1EADDD-D66F-4952-B50F-8F81324C3365.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I had a Base model with a right hand side bag. I suspect my bag moved around more than your tank bag would. Given that, I was not happy with how the panel got "destroyed".
I also had the bike in for first service and they wiped the tank down... The result was... in my eyes... scratches everywhere.

These bikes have very soft paint and scratch very easily.

I ended up getting the whole bike detailed and ppfed / ceramic coated. I was extremely happy with the results. I had the bike for a little over a year after getting that done and I was so glad I did it. Especially when I saw other bikes, R18s in particular, with scratches and swirls. The black paint looks soooooo good when it's pristine.

It is pricey though, but for me it was well worth it.

Hum, guess I should look for some ppfed vendors…thinking that is a term for film coding. Thanks for the tip. Probably cost a good penny (1k maybe or a bit less) if lucking. Appreciate that info Vyk

Hum, guess I should look for some ppfed vendors…thinking that is a term for film coding. Thanks for the tip. Probably cost a good penny (1k maybe or a bit less) if lucking. Appreciate that info Vyk
Many of these paint protection films have self healing properties. So light scratches will "heal" when heat is applied (sunlight counts). I suspect your estimate is probably right on.

The quote for my TC detail / ppf / ceramic coating was $2500.

My lord…that is some coin :)
but it is a gift that will keep on giving. One question…if ppl is applied one does not then have a ceramic coasting applied on top of the pdf do you? Though the inverse would be a question as well…why have ceramic coasting applied to a new bike (which protects the paint) then apply film over it? Maybe to shine the paint so it is somewhat perfect then protect that gloss finish with film maybe?

It depends on what you want out of it.

I got the coating so it would be easier to clean and maintain. The coating makes the bike get dirty less quickly and makes it easier to wash/wipe things off. It also makes it look like there is a coating of wax. I think the general consensus is that a wax looks better but the coating is close enough for me. But my initial thought when I bought the bike was that I would keep it for a long time. Didn't turn out that way... but I am still glad I had done it. It enhanced my own ownership experience.

Got a quote of $600 for a six year warranty for a ceramic coating job. Possible that is a good price. Have not ordered Xpel film yet. Wish some vendor would sell a 3M film protection kit to be installed on our R18 bikes. Thinking it is hard to bend the film around corners and bends.
On a new bike I wonder how hard it is to paint/apply ceramic spray/liquid. Course, even if not hard there are a zillion products out there so hard to know what to buy.

I infer with ceramic they allow it to the entire bike maybe: chrome, paint, seats.

Back