R18B baffle removeal?

Frank Bullitt

I just glanced at the exhausts, and I did it on my old R nineT, but can you remove the baffles from the R18B pipes? I don't want to lug my tool box down to the parkade unless I can...lazy, I know.

I might ask my dealership to do this..but drilling terrifies me
It should terrify you,as each muffler is $1600(YEAH $3200 a pair) to replace.
I'm not doin it.
Get the servo units if you want more sound.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike got hit and knocked over and I replaced the fish tail that was damaged ($1600) with a pair of the V&H mufflers ($900). The V&H were too quiet for my taste, but I didn't want the full open pipe obnoxiousness. I did what I have done on other bikes and just drilled a hole (in this case 3/8) through the baffle plate. I couldn't tell a difference at idle, but it has a nicer growl under acceleration. It isn't loud, but it sounds nice. A $15 drill bit and 2 minutes of time was all it took.

I don't think doing that with the fishtail is feasible, due to the construction, but it should work with the Classic and any of the models with round mufflers.

Drilled mine out today and happy with the results. Definitely made a solid improvement without being over the top. If anyone else is thinking of doing it don't waste time trying to hook out the disk. Simply take each exhaust off and give it a shake. They came straight out and ensured all the swarf did as well.

Back