Rear Brake pad change - remove left side exhaust?

BMWBob

Greetings,

I took the Advance Rider course on my 22 R18 TC and used the rear brake extensively. It was tough to get through but I passed! Since the class, the rear brake stopping has not been great. I think I glazed the pads. I picked up EBC copper sintered pads and was looking at a you tube video that showed the removal or the left side exhaust? Anyone else change pads that can confirm the exhaust removal?

Safe rides,
Bob

I have not done a rear brake service on mine, but I just had a look, it loks like the lower bolt may just be a little too long to come out with the left side muffler in place. Again ... I have not done it ... but it looks lie a 'yes'

Edit: IMO if the pads are still thick enough ... just put them down flat on some sandpaper ( preferably NOT emery cloth) and sand off the glazed part and re-use them.

Last edited:
I have not done a rear brake service on mine, but I just had a look, it loks like the lower bolt may just be a little too long to come out with the left side muffler in place. Again ... I have not done it ... but it looks lie a 'yes'

Edit: IMO if the pads are still thick enough ... just put them down flat on some sandpaper ( preferably NOT emery cloth) and sand off the glazed part and re-use them.
Thanks Ulrich - that's what I thought. Appreciate the sanding the advice!

Safe rides,
Bob

Greetings,

I took the Advance Rider course on my 22 R18 TC and used the rear brake extensively. It was tough to get through but I passed! Since the class, the rear brake stopping has not been great. I think I glazed the pads. I picked up EBC copper sintered pads and was looking at a you tube video that showed the removal or the left side exhaust? Anyone else change pads that can confirm the exhaust removal?

Safe rides,
Bob
Hi Bob,
The exhaust does have to come off. I had mine off yesterday. May not affect you however for any fish tail owners, I would recommend the following. After sliding back the exhaust clamp, take a marker pen and put an alignment mark on the pipe and exhaust where the clamp was. This means when reinstalling the pipe you don't have to keep looking from behind to ensure the fish tails match. I will know for next time.

Roll on the summer

Whilst this is an old thread, I had my rear caliper off yesterday so I thought I would post that I did not need to take the fish tail exhaust off at all on my "pure" .... as this would double the pad changing time and didn't seem to be required...... it was a 2 minute job getting the caliper out.

I could not get a socket on the bottom bolt, but a 11mm ring spanner worked and did not mark the bolt. I have subsequently ordered a $40 set of e torx ring spanners for my tool kit.... likely to be handy. Once the bottom bolt is loose it can not be fully removed, but it doesn't need to be, just pulled it out 2/3 ( the bolt stays in the caliper body) and the caliper is easily removed with the bolt). My bolts did not have thread locker on them.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Safe rides,
Bob
I made up a new license plate bracket over the weekend, which attaches to the bike using the 2 bolts that affix the rear caliper.
On my bike, I can confirm that - to remove the lower of those 2 bolts - the left side exhaust had to come off. I pulled it via the 2 big torx bolts which go into the underside of the frame.

That said, I think you could probably loosen that bolt to remove the calliper, without removing the exhaust. The bolt would have to stay in the frame, but I think you could get the brake off.

Back