Rear Footpeg Delete Plugs

I made bushings out of scrap blue Delrin and plan to order black Delrin to replace.

Attachments

• 591820F9-ADB8-4F81-99EE-29603429A57D.jpeg
    591820F9-ADB8-4F81-99EE-29603429A57D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Weird. I may eventually do something, but I thought the bare torx heads looked 'correct' back there along with the other exposed ones on the bike.

But my taste is all in my mouth. Prost.

I went to the local hardware store and bought a set of 13 Torx bits, up to and includng the T55 bit. I also needed a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. Thus equipped I set to removing the foot pegs for the pillion passenger. First crank and the bit snapped off leaving a jagged metal remainder. Ahhh, nothing like Canadian Tire (store name) quality... so I returned the set of Torx bits for an easily transacted refund. I scratched my head ...and drove over to a local old-fashioned small town mechanical garage, "Joe's" Lube and Muffler. I politely asked if they had Torx bits (I am aware they do some work on German cars). The guy said he had a T55 bit and to just bring the machine around. I drove back home, jumped on Black Beauty and our man had those bolts out in 30 seconds. Then he rummaged into his upholstery blanking plug boxes and popped in a couple plugs that fit perfectly. The recessed hole is still visible but the seal is water tight. I asked my man "what can I pay you?" in a jiffy he said "nothing brother, ride safely". I slipped him $20 for a couple of beers and we shook hands. That saved me 3 hours round trip drive to BMW, saved me about $24 dollars in gas, and who knows how much for a BMW tech to do this work, and the likely expensive plastic BMW "blind plug" to cover the hole. For those of you who know and have read ZMM this was a lovely quality solution. I believe Pirsig would agree too. I think my machine is set for the rest of the summer, now; I will spend the rest of summer enjoying BB and during winter's dreary non-riding days pore over what to do next. Man I love this moto!

Last edited:
This is for theMucker……
Only in the last few years have I run across torx fasteners. I learned quickly that correct size matters. I used a t-25 when I should have used a t-27 on my Harley. Had to drill out the fastener! Same result when I used a t-40 on a t-45.
Size matters with torx.

This is for theMucker……
Only in the last few years have I run across torx fasteners. I learned quickly that correct size matters. I used a t-25 when I should have used a t-27 on my Harley. Had to drill out the fastener! Same result when I used a t-40 on a t-45.
Size matters with torx.
The mucker is not longer with us. RIP

Back