Seat or shock? Thinking shock..

Folo

Good day fellow mechanics!

Is there a general consensus or scale on which to judge the available shocks? I've heard of Wilber, Touratech, and Hyperpro i think its called. Would I be good with any of these?

I dont want to burn money with multiple seats as I already have one of the mustang-made touring ones but am trying to mitigate the lower back ache from bumpy city and highway commutes. Got my preload set to my weight but if the shock can be upgraded to something better I rather spend my money there. I'd appreciate enlightenment on the subject.

Thanks!

I have a set of Wilbers' on my 2003 R1100S and they were a significant upgrade from the OEM Sport Shocks that came with the bike. I recall talking to a gentleman who made them and providing him with my preferred riding style, body weight and a few other bits of info. I would by Wilbers again. Definitely worth the investment.

Is there a general consensus or scale on which to judge the available shocks? I've heard of Wilber, Touratech, and Hyperpro i think its called. Would I be good with any of these?

I dont want to burn money with multiple seats as I already have one of the mustang-made touring ones but am trying to mitigate the lower back ache from bumpy city and highway commutes. Got my preload set to my weight but if the shock can be upgraded to something better I rather spend my money there. I'd appreciate enlightenment on the subject.

Thanks!
I am VERY interested to find out info on replacement shocks. Please do let us know.

Yeah I had the "high seat" prior to getting the weekender and it wasn't high for anything. I actually rode the bike in its shipping preload for a couple weeks before realizing something is wrong and now its way better but definitely feels rough in the long run.

SHOCKS... Always; the best, least sexy upgrade, hands down, will improve your bike... Simply put - Stock Shocks Suck..!!!

I guess I got lucky. The ride on my TC is ideal. Somehow they figured it out.... whether going over railroad tracks or bumps in general, the TC glides over.
I agree... I'm happy with the B model suspension thus far; however, once the shocks become end-of-life, I'm hopeful that companies like Ohlins, Touratec and Willbers will have direct replacements for the B/TC models.

Thanks!
For the sake of a few hundred dollars..... I would (oops...am) go for a Wilbers... then Nitron (similar dollars to Wilbers)..... they are a teir above the others you mentioned. Whilst I went with a Nitron on my R Nine T.... this time I went for a Wilbers for the R 18. The Wilburs has a 16mm shaft and 46mm piston..... the Nitron 14/40.... wether that matters.... who knows in this application..... ones bum wouldn't I think.

Last edited:
Back