Shaft splines service bulletin

Puck

Site Supporter
Was in for service yesterday and there was an open BMW Service Bulletin to relube the shaft spines. tech said some came from factory with improper or no lube. Just an FYI54E18DBE-1845-4ED6-BF71-4CD0F3534C11.png

Good info,thx.

I wonder if my R18C is in this group since I am near 20,000 miles and pulling a sidecar,LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked with Cross Country BMW here in NJ; the Service Bulletin is covered under warranty for all R 18 models. They are waiting on stock, in order to perform the work.

I just checked with Cross Country BMW here in NJ; the Service Bulletin is covered under warranty for all R 18 models. They are waiting on stock, in order to perform the work.
I spoke with the Service Manager in trying to schedule the Drive Shaft work before the season gets too cold; he says they're still waiting on supplies, and most likely will happen at the next Spring Service Interval. He said there isn't a concern continuing to ride out the season without the work being performed.

Sigh - you have got to wonder how such a basic requirement could go unperformed on the assembly line. This is supposed to be a precision cruiser with high fit and finish. Who the hell works on the assembly line? This is one of my main concerns with German automotive/motorcycle products. Great engineering (for performance), terrible engineering (for maintenance and repair), sloppy assembly, difficult and expensive to repair.

Yeah,but we got huge discounts and some of us got low APRs%.

On a serious note,I called my dealer and he said he would plug in my vin w/BMW service bulletin and call me back if I need the service.
I did 20 years at GM production.Probablly a missed run by a new employee.Missing a procedure or a part for a couple of hours can be disastrous.
A few days can be a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer likewise does not have the supplies. And instead spoke with bmw and is using a different lubricant. Since it’s an expose driveshaft, apparently all they’re doing is cleaning it off and then spraying it with his other lubricant. That versus an enclosed driveshaft where I guess you would take it apart and spray lubricant inside, so that makes me wonder how exactly does a lubricant stay on the exposed drive shaft?

My dealer likewise does not have the supplies. And instead spoke with bmw and is using a different lubricant. Since it’s an expose driveshaft, apparently all they’re doing is cleaning it off and then spraying it with his other lubricant. That versus an enclosed driveshaft where I guess you would take it apart and spray lubricant inside, so that makes me wonder how exactly does a lubricant stay on the exposed drive shaft?
Hmmm…That doesn’t sound right. I mean the shaft is exposed but the splines are not.

My guess is it’s something to prevent rust?

LINK: R1200 spline rust

Last edited:
Ok, I see what you mean…it is the shaft drive splines they are wanting to lube. 10-4. Was miss thinking it was the U-joint on the exposed shaft drive lol

It seems to me that each owner should get a written notice from BMW if their bike falls into this category right? I'm thinking no notice means no worries.

It seems to me that each owner should get a written notice from BMW if their bike falls into this category right? I'm thinking no notice means no worries.
Not necessarily. Anything that isn’t an official recall is usually marked by VIN and when the vehicle is next in for a service, it’s undertaken then. Sometimes known as a quality enhancement also depending on the manufacturer.

I was told it is a 'spray on' fix .. Krylon overhaul? ... sigh and my local shop doesn't have the 'magic spray' yet either .. so I wait :oops: ... well it snowed up in the mountains already anyway ...

September was in the dealer for first service. They informed me of the service bulletin and said that they didn’t have the “kit” in stock. Said they would notify when it was available and I could schedule an appointment. In the meantime not to worry.

Back