Shifted 1.Gear without Clutch by Mistake

RHX

Site Supporter
Today, when the motorcycle was in neutral in the parking lot, I pressed the gear pedal to shift into 1st gear, but I forgot to pull the clutch. The engine was stationary and in neutral. It shifted into gear and stalled. Then I drove the engine by making a short test, it easily shifted to 1st-2nd gears and I did not have any problems. I just wondered if there would be a problem or any damage.

Today, when the motorcycle was in neutral in the parking lot, I pressed the gear pedal to shift into 1st gear, but I forgot to pull the clutch. The engine was stationary and in neutral. It shifted into gear and stalled. Then I drove the engine by making a short test, it easily shifted to 1st-2nd gears and I did not have any problems. I just wondered if there would be a problem or any damage.
Nope, I would much doubt it. You changed gears without clutch and the engine stalled. That will be the end of the matter. It is possible to change gears whilst on the move without using the clutch just by timing the rpms right, although I would not make a habit out of it as with time you are risking damaging the gear box and engine, but not as a one off.

Nope, shouldn't be an issue at all, as Anibal stated.

"Rev-shift" is a common practice in competitive racing, where racers will simply rev their engines, and let the gear "slip" into the next shift. With practice, it's MUCH faster to shift like this.

As for the occasional non-clutch shift? It won't do any damage...it might shave a TINY bit of metal, which your magnetic plug will catch, but that's pretty much it.

Mike

Reactions: RHX
I had driven trucks (lorry), for 30 years and have yet to use a clutch...besides first gear take off. My last bike I up, and down shifted without a clutch. Never a problem. Now I surely don't advise doing this without knowing what your doing. That's when things get sideways

Mmm.... I wouldn't stand near any open windows from, say the 2nd floor or higher, just in case you forget to use the stairs.... and stay off any roofs.

Back