So glad I have crash bars!!

TravisD

Site Supporter
So we had some really nice weather on Sunday so the wife and I decided to take a good ride. After stopping for gas I realized I turned the wrong way out of the gas station and turned onto a side street to make a U-turn. The road was a slight incline which led to the incident. I was halfway through it and I think due to the incline of the road I just suddenly realized it was going down weather I wanted to or not. Luckily my wife stepped off without issue and the bike came down on the crash bar. I got it back up without issue and we continued on for 2 more hours without any further issues. When we got home I examined everything and I cant even find a scratch on anything. I consider myself lucky and the crash bars did their job very well!

Crash bars a must!!!! Things happen it’s peace of mind to have that protection. Putting the BMW OEM bars when I receive my bike from the dealer after this headlight issue is resolved.
Ride Safe

So we had some really nice weather on Sunday so the wife and I decided to take a good ride. After stopping for gas I realized I turned the wrong way out of the gas station and turned onto a side street to make a U-turn. The road was a slight incline which led to the incident. I was halfway through it and I think due to the incline of the road I just suddenly realized it was going down weather I wanted to or not. Luckily my wife stepped off without issue and the bike came down on the crash bar. I got it back up without issue and we continued on for 2 more hours without any further issues. When we got home I examined everything and I cant even find a scratch on anything. I consider myself lucky and the crash bars did their job very well!
Yes same here Monday morning on my way to work, 0500 only a block away from my house. Stop sign on a big incline, did not give enough gas and the bike shut off. Down she goes, slowly. The drop was very light, but 5 tries to get her back standing, each time she slid a bit backwards on the attempt, scratching the crash bars. They really did their job. No other scratches, and way to start my Monday off :(

Dropped my previous bike the same way. Slow u turn over one of those low, nearly flat but not quite, curbs. Gravity won that day. Cost me $250 to replace a cracked footboard. Immediately bought crash bars for the rear, which would have kept the footboard from moving too far.

Moving my bike around in the garage... Nothing to report damage wise, engine protection bars did their job..

At the very least, I got to try lifting the bike up by myself, using this cross arm method; stood right up with a little effort and allowed me to flip out the kickstand and return my planet back to normal...

Moving my bike around in the garage... Nothing to report damage wise, engine protection bars did their job..

At the very least, I got to try lifting the bike up by myself, using this cross arm method; stood right up with a little effort and allowed me to flip out the kickstand and return my planet back to normal...

Yup! First drop on my TC was in the garage, forgot to put the side stand down, :D

I found the YT video, showing the pick-up lifting method that I used when I dropped my Model B on the left side, while moving my bike in the garage: (former NYPD HWY Wheel Lieutenant)

Last edited:
Hehe been there twice mate same as you not a mark 😉

I love my crash bars - fortunately I haven't put them to the test yet. Just really glad they're there...rode twice this past weekend, continuing my pattern of getting out at least once a month every month of the year. Global warmings' gotta be good for something right? :(

I found the YT video, showing the pick-up lifting method that I used when I dropped my Model B on the left side, while moving my bike in the garage: (former NYPD HWY Wheel Lieutenant)

Thank you for sharing Scott. Excellent advice for 74yr old w back operation, both knee replacements, and upcoming right shoulder replacement. Have a lot of respect for the R18 weight but love it!! No, I don’t plan to switch to the R1400😄

Back