Thoughts on First Edition

Jason-Malibu-R18

Site Supporter
First, it’s great to be part of this

I picked to a First Edition yesterday with less than 1000 miles on it. Picked it up from BMW Escondido and rode it straight back to Malibu. About 160 miles and around 4 hours, I could easily have done another 100+ no problem.

After reading some reviews, I was concerned it was going to be tiresome to do this in one shot. It’s really was, in fact, a breeze. The engine, with that amazing torque is raw, docile (both meant complementary) and unbelievably usable. Some have found the ride way too firm, natural compromise because of the hard tail look. I didnt find this at all. I set up the preload and, with its weight, the bike was a delight on the freeway and amazingly planted. If anyone’s in two minds about whether to get this bike, honestly just do it you’ll never regret it

Morning Jason. It’s been covered a lot on here, consensus is that unfortunately through a combination of perhaps early adopter ignorance and dealer idleness press bikes and dealer demo bikes were likely put out with the rear shock on shipping setting and many reviewers complained about the poor ride. The ‘haters’ latched onto that and ran with it, so we ended up where we are now. Thankfully I believe the pendulum has finally swung back our way after some very positive YouTube videos and write ups but there’s no denying the horses have been spooked. This forum is a great source of information and companion actually.

Glad you like your bike, I have the same as you, it’s timeless. It is what it is. I Love it. Just look at it …..

IMG_0931.jpeg

Could not agree more. As a Brit living in California im not under the same “pressure” to follow the hordes to the HD dealership. No criticism of the HD brand or bikes - they are great, but I spoke with a close friend and he’s now put $50k into his HD.. For a 1/3 of that you have some just as customizable, if that’s your thing, or an amazing piece of art ready to go with few or no enhancements. I’m sold!!

Hi Jason,
Welcome to the forum, it's a great resource for advice and opinions.
The R18 a great bike, health to ride and enjoy.
I was lucky enough to pickup a low mileage first edition, and after setting the rear preload from shipping to my weight with riding gear on, transformed the handling.
It's great that Rock and Roll have such different characters to suit your mood.
Ride safe.
IMG-20230923-WA0004(1)~3.jpg

I've got about 10,000 miles on my '22 FE. I did a 6,000 mile loop last summer. Seat no problem - it's easy to ride through a full tank.. Suspension no problem - I read the manual, I adjusted the shock. Too easy. Wonderful bike. No more HD Low Rider.

I've got about 10,000 miles on my '22 FE. I did a 6,000 mile loop last summer. Seat no problem - it's easy to ride through a full tank.. Suspension no problem - I read the manual, I adjusted the shock. Too easy. Wonderful bike. No more HD Low Rider.
Zamar, that’s very respectable mileage. I put 10k on my GS last year, so I like to ride, clearly the R18 is up to the job!

My wife would disagree! But I have to agree, just finished over 400 miles on it in three days and I’m loving it. Buddy has just bought a HD softail and plus the options he spent over $26 grand. About twice what I paid. I mean the value is extraordinary
Yes, I own a R ninet Scrambler.... and only managed to get a R18 as a second bike past the wife due to the price the FE's were going for with new stock that was getting on a bit at the dealers. The R18 is my favourite now.

Off course, not so good for those that bought theirs in the early days.

Back