Titling and Insurance Problems.

Svtweb

Staff member
Elite Member
This is a branch from another thread, but it seems that a lot of us are having g issues with Titling and Insurance in our states/countries. I live in Maryland and my insurance company is State Farm.

Maryland MVA has titled registered my 2021 R18 as a 1991 BMW. I have reached out to them several times and the mindless automatons/Government workers lack the cranial capacity to understand that their system is wrong. I have been fighting with them since September and they point to it being a dealer issue. Their claim is the dealer put in the wrong VIN. I verified the VIN repeatedly and they say it’s a 1991. Their circular logic of incompetence totally helps me to understand why people go postal when dealing with government services.
State Farm also didn’t have a listing, but at least they were able to provide me insurance until their system gets updated.
I have an appointment scheduled to take the bike to MVA to have things visually verified. I don’t see how this will change anything as having an idiot look at the bike when they have already had multiple pictures of the data plate sent to them can assist them.

I had a titling concern too.
The culprit was BMW France.
They couldn't make the title for a two seats bike. Only for a single one !
Fixing the problem delayed the delivery by one week.
No problem with the insurance which is specialized in Bikes ( Mutuelle des Motards). Reasonably priced and efficient.

That sounds super frustrating. I'm sure it'll get worked out, eventually. In the mean time, why not blow everyone's mind and get a historic vehicle plate :LOL:

EC95BBEF-1106-43C1-A1C8-CC64938DA043.png
/thank you for not saying "VIN number" by the way

It's amazing how ignorant the "corporate mind" can be. Every year there are entirely new models of cars, trucks and motorcycle introduced to the market. That an insurance company can't extract it's collective head from it's bum long enough to understand that the R18 is an ALL NEW model is amazing.
My R18 is insured as a second machine, added to the existing policy covering my Indian. I haven't gotten a bill for it yet and I have been wondering what it's going to look like.

That sounds super frustrating. I'm sure it'll get worked out, eventually. In the mean time, why not blow everyone's mind and get a historic vehicle plate :LOL:

View attachment 607
/thank you for not saying "VIN number" by the way
Funny you say that! So I have a “Hat-Trick” of titling issues that I need the MVA to take care of.
1) Fix my R18 Title from 1991 to 2021
2) Register my 2001 R1200c as Historic
3) Title my 1963 Honda Benly
4) Consolidate my title/Lien Release to a clean title for my Ford Raptor.

You would think that I could make 1 appointment and take care of all of it at once. Of course not!!!! I have to make 4 appointments or run the risk of the MVA person destroying their only brain cell by having to do what we pay them to do.

I feel your (collective) pains. I live in San Antonio, TX; and my dealings with the local license plate bureau have been a real joy to work with.

When we moved here from Michigan 6 years ago I registered my R1200C and got a Coast Guard logo'd Handicap Veteran Plate for it. I sold the R1200C and retained the plate; which I had let the registration expire 2 years ago. When I went to get a new plate for my R-18 I asked if they could transfer the Coast Guard plate to the R-18; after a few keystrokes on her computer the clerk said sure, no problem; your total cost today will be $.85! Yes the decimal is in the right place; 85 cents!

I've been a member of USAA for 30 years now and they no longer insure Motorcycles. They have partnered with Progressive who now insures my R-18.

I guess I've been lucky in dealing with State DMVs; although I've witnessed some never "dull moments" at a California and Michigan DMV Offices!

This is a branch from another thread, but it seems that a lot of us are having g issues with Titling and Insurance in our states/countries. I live in Maryland and my insurance company is State Farm.

Maryland MVA has titled registered my 2021 R18 as a 1991 BMW. I have reached out to them several times and the mindless automatons/Government workers lack the cranial capacity to understand that their system is wrong. I have been fighting with them since September and they point to it being a dealer issue. Their claim is the dealer put in the wrong VIN. I verified the VIN repeatedly and they say it’s a 1991. Their circular logic of incompetence totally helps me to understand why people go postal when dealing with government services.
State Farm also didn’t have a listing, but at least they were able to provide me insurance until their system gets updated.
I have an appointment scheduled to take the bike to MVA to have things visually verified. I don’t see how this will change anything as having an idiot look at the bike when they have already had multiple pictures of the data plate sent to them can assist them.
My title says Model, Unknown.

OK. You guys got me wondering, so I have looked at my new title. It does say BMW, but it calls the model WB1. Hmmmmm...
My dealer gave me the German papers that apparently came with the R18. They have mostly the same stuff on them, all in German and they all say "Modell: 0L13"
A knucklehead in the county clerk's office (local DOT) apparently came up with WB1 by just typing in the first 3 characters of the VIN, even though the form sent to them for the purpose of titling said model: R18.

20210223_114050.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't received my Title as of yet, but my Georgia Registration shows Make BMW, Year 2021, Model R 18, along with the VIN #

The state of Washington didn't have any issues properly identifying my R18 First Edition on the title, but Progressive had to list it as "model unknown" for insurance purposes. I'm just frustrated waiting for the accessories to become available.

Received my Georgia Certificate of Title in today's mail. Title lists Make: BMW, Year: 2021, Type: Motorcycle, Model: R 18. So have had no issues with Georgia on Titling or Registering the new R 18.

Mine is simply titled as (MAKE BMW) , (MODEL UNKNOWN), ( YEAR 2021)

Attachments

• R18 Title 4 2.pdf
    99.1 KB · Views: 2
Back